cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Direct Loans rehabed to FedLoan Servicing still shows a baddie!!!

tag
mmmlive1999
Frequent Contributor

Direct Loans rehabed to FedLoan Servicing still shows a baddie!!!

Hi All,

I did my 9mo SL rehab through Direct Loans which ended in Feb.of this year, I was then placed with Fedloan Servicing and they gave me 6 new TLs!!! This part is great but I still have a charge off with a 0 balance from the Dep of Edu listing on all my reports. It sounds like most people on here had all neg TLS removed after rehab. 

I called the Dep of Edu and they said everything was transfered to FedLoan Servicing and there is nothing they can do :-(

Called Fed Loan Servicing and they had no knowledge of the old TL.

What should I do ???

Thanks,

Starting Score: 6/6/12: TU 585/EQ 472/ EX 561
Current Score: All 800's
Cap1 QS - $17k, Chase Southwest- $25k, Discover IT - $50k
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
ironsight
Valued Member

Re: Direct Loans rehabed to FedLoan Servicing still shows a baddie!!!

ask them to send you a letter validating your rehab, then send copies of that letter along with a dispute to all three CRA's.  That is what I am doing on the advice of Nelnet, waiting on my letter right now.  Good Luck!

Message 2 of 15
mmmlive1999
Frequent Contributor

@ironsight wrote:

ask them to send you a letter validating your rehab, then send copies of that letter along with a dispute to all three CRA's.  That is what I am doing on the advice of Nelnet, waiting on my letter right now.  Good Luck!

Thanks! I will request a validation letter.

Message 3 of 15
cem13
Established Contributor

Im in the same situation.

I defaulted in 2008.  I started to rehab then filed BK7.  Original rehab was denied by DOE since I missed my last payment on the advice of my Attorney.  He tried to get my SL dismissed in BK7 but was unsuccessful.  So thankfully I did a second rehab and was then tranferred to FedLoan.  The DOE default TLs came off within a week and I jumped 40 points.  However the original loan was marked as "paid in collections".

I called DOE and they told me the original loan will still report as defaulted.  The new loan from Fedloan has yet to report (3 months).  I already have 2 installment loans reporting so I really dont need 3 more.  So I am not pushing Fedloan to report.

I then called the Ombusdsman which was a waste of my valuable brain matter.  Those people are just plain below average performers.  There is no other explaination.  I would bet the average IQ is around 88.  That is our governement for you.

Anyway, DOE says the loan is closed and no further reporting can occur.  Fedloans says they cannot correct anything in the past because they did not have the original loan.  You talk about frustrating.  So I spoke with a supervisor TWICE.  She told me the original loan was in default....PERIOD.  And they will report as such: Paid in collections"

I have disputed this TWICE with the CRAs and it comes back as Paid in collections both times.  I will try the validation letter route and then send that to the CRAs.

FICO 08 JUL23: TU 850; EQ 846; EX 843. Clean since BK7 D/C 6/2011.
Message 4 of 15
mmmlive1999
Frequent Contributor

@thonati wrote:

Im in the same situation.

I defaulted in 2008.  I started to rehab then filed BK7.  Original rehab was denied by DOE since I missed my last payment on the advice of my Attorney.  He tried to get my SL dismissed in BK7 but was unsuccessful.  So thankfully I did a second rehab and was then tranferred to FedLoan.  The DOE default TLs came off within a week and I jumped 40 points.  However the original loan was marked as "paid in collections".

I called DOE and they told me the original loan will still report as defaulted.  The new loan from Fedloan has yet to report (3 months).  I already have 2 installment loans reporting so I really don't need 3 more.  So I am not pushing Fedloan to report.

I then called the Ombusdsman which was a waste of my valuable brain matter.  Those people are just plain below average performers.  There is no other explaination.  I would bet the average IQ is around 88.  That is our governement for you.

Anyway, DOE says the loan is closed and no further reporting can occur.  Fedloans says they cannot correct anything in the past because they did not have the original loan.  You talk about frustrating.  So I spoke with a supervisor TWICE.  She told me the original loan was in default....PERIOD.  And they will report as such: Paid in collections"

I have disputed this TWICE with the CRAs and it comes back as Paid in collections both times.  I will try the validation letter route and then send that to the CRAs.

It sure sounds like we have been talking with the same people at the DOE. They seem to lack the basic understanding of how this erroneous double reporting is so damaging. I just don't understand how they get away with reporting the same loans twice! I think they need to be listed as one status or the other,not both simultaneously..........Ugh!

Well, just sent my first round of disputes out last week sighting "the loan was transfered" to the CRAs,but hold little hope that they will erase that CO * fingers crossed *and I requested the validation letter from the DOE but assume it is only going to reflect "paid collection".

Message 5 of 15
mmmlive1999
Frequent Contributor

BumpSmiley Indifferent

Message 6 of 15
mspiggybank
New Contributor

I'm in the same situation. I was told by DOE to contact the new lender and have them update and to also dispute with the CRAs. The agent gave me the phone numbers for the three main bureaus and Innovis. When I called the new lender, they told me they couldn't connect me with anyone who handle credit directly and that I had to mail or fax a letter stating that my account. I did that yesterday and also opened a dispute with the CRAs as the DOE suggested. The agent from my new lender told me straight out that I might have to follow up multiple times to get them to update quickly. He told me to start following up early next week. I guess it's just a waiting game now.
Message 7 of 15
mmmlive1999
Frequent Contributor

Re: Direct Loans rehabbed to FedLoan Servicing still shows a baddie!!!

@mspiggybank wrote:
I'm in the same situation. I was told by DOE to contact the new lender and have them update and to also dispute with the CRAs. The agent gave me the phone numbers for the three main bureaus and Innovis. When I called the new lender, they told me they couldn't connect me with anyone who handle credit directly and that I had to mail or fax a letter stating that my account. I did that yesterday and also opened a dispute with the CRAs as the DOE suggested. The agent from my new lender told me straight out that I might have to follow up multiple times to get them to update quickly. He told me to start following up early next week. I guess it's just a waiting game now.

This is the same info I was given and the letter the DOE sent me stated that the DOE would "advise the credit bureaus to delete any information provided by the Department regarding the default status of loans that have been rehabilitated", however when I disputed with the CRAs in Jan they VALIDATED!!!!  Smiley Frustrated

So I talked with someone at the DOE yesterday and they gave me a fax # to their office and told me to send the deletion request to them with a copy of the credit report.

I think this may get it taken care of....It was officially one year ago Feb. 1st, that I completed rehab and  this stupid closed account has been haunting my reports ever since.

If this works I will post in an update.

Message 8 of 15
pisspoorcredit
New Contributor

Tell me about it! Me too! I just completed my rehab...those double reportings with Dept of Ed is killing me! Waster of brain matter is RIGHT!

Starting Score: 503
Current Score: 510
Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 9 of 15
DraconTesla

So with the old loan still reporting did doing the rehab help your credit report that much? I have some loans in default and reading through these threads it is not encouraging to rehab them.

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.