cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Direct Loans rehabed to FedLoan Servicing still shows a baddie!!!

tag
SCF
Valued Contributor

Re: Direct Loans rehabed to FedLoan Servicing still shows a baddie!!!

@DraconTesla wrote:

So with the old loan still reporting did doing the rehab help your credit report that much? I have some loans in default and reading through these threads it is not encouraging to rehab them.

Rehab does more than just improve your credit (which removing the default remarks will certainly do).  Your loan will no longer be in a default status, which will make oyu eligible for additional student loans, remove your name from CAIVRS (which means you can now apply for other federally-subsidized loan programs, like an FHA mortgage), and you will no longer be at risk of having your paycheck garnished or tax returns seized to pay the debt.

You'll also be able to choose an affordable repayment plan to help you keep the loans current even if you have a limited income.  The process is definitely worth it.

Message 11 of 15
DraconTesla

While I do plan on paying them sometime..... none of those negatives currently affect me. I am self employed so I always owe taxes and don't want any more awful student loans ;-)
Message 12 of 15
SCF
Valued Contributor

@DraconTesla wrote:
While I do plan on paying them sometime..... none of those negatives currently affect me. I am self employed so I always owe taxes and don't want any more awful student loans ;-)

That's fine, just be aware that these loans will follow you until they are paid off.  And they may reappear on your report if they are given to a new collection agency (who can then place a collection account on your report - even though the loans themselves may have fallen off long ago).  You're setting yourself up to run into a number of hurdles if things in your life change and you do get a regular W2 job, want to buy a home, or even go on Social Security (which can be attached to pay defaulted federal loans).  As long as you are OK with those consequences, you can let those loans continue to sit in default.

Message 13 of 15
Cookie2120987
Frequent Contributor

I finished my rehab through fedloan and was placed with nelnet. Almost a year later the two original loans still say OPEN and none of the lates were removed, should I contact fedloan servicing and ask for a letter stating I finished my rehab? Would this be able to remove all the lates I recieved from the original loan before rehab?
Message 14 of 15
SCF
Valued Contributor

The collection agency that you did your rehab with should be able to give you a letter stating the rehab was completed - send that letter to the lender who is still reporting the loans as open, and they should update the status and remove any remarks that refer to the default (such as "claim filed with gov't").  They are not required to remove the lates, but they may do so.

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.