New Contributor

Discover student loans?

Does anyone have any experience with Discover student loans? We are thinking about taking out a small bar study loan (5-10K) via Discover. I'm just trying to figure out what interest rate we would qualify for. My husband's credit score is 715-720 (he isn't a US citizen, so he has a short credit history) and mine is 765-775, depending on the day. The variable rate can be as low as Prime Index (currently 3.25%) + 0% and as high as Prime + 4%. If anyone has experience applying for and qualifying for Discover's various interest rates, that would be so helpful (if you don't mind mentioning your circumstance, i.e. credit score, income, co-signer, etc, what you qualified, that would be really helpful). Thanks!

Valued Member

Re: Discover student loans?

Applied 11/2012

Variable rate at 6.25%

Score at the time - 739 (Discover pulled Transunion)

Income - $10,000-$15,000

Loan amount - $4,600

No cosigner

Independant

Graduate School Loan

I plan on applying for another one in November again for my second year. My income will be more than double what it was last year and my credit score is about the same, if not better, so I am hoping for an equal or better rate. Is the loan for both of you or just one of you?

Amex BCE - 15.9k, QuickSilver - 8k, Freedom - 5k, Discover It - 7.5k
New Contributor

Jatindrj wrote:

Applied 11/2012

Variable rate at 6.25%

Score at the time - 739 (Discover pulled Transunion)

Income - $10,000-$15,000

Loan amount - $4,600

No cosigner

Independant

Graduate School Loan

I plan on applying for another one in November again for my second year. My income will be more than double what it was last year and my credit score is about the same, if not better, so I am hoping for an equal or better rate. Is the loan for both of you or just one of you?

hey thanks so much for your reply! That information is really helpful. So was your variable rate Prime + 3%? That's probably about the amount we would take out as well (we were thinking 5K, which should cover us while he's studying for and taking the bar).

We would take out the loan for his bar study (I'm already finished with grad school, so it would just be for him), but we would use it to cover our expenses. My husband actually doesn't have any student loans from undergrad or law school, which is great, but because he isn't a US citizen, he wasn't eligible to even apply for stafford loans, and a 5000.00 subsidized stafford loan would've been ideal. Oh well. So this seems like the next best thing.

Valued Member

No problem. Yes, mine was +3%. It was also my first loan as well and they've been great. 

Senior Contributor

Jatindrj, does Discover do instant student loan approvals?
Also, did they require proof address, proof of income, or similar documentation?
What was your aaoa? Your revolving credit utilization?
Did you have an existing student loans?
I may need to get a Discover student loan for the fall semester and will not have a cosigner, but should have a 720+ TU by then.
Thanks for the info!
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Valued Member

Hey. I was approved instantly. They didn't ask for address or income verification. My AAOA was about 10 months as I had been approved for 3 new cards just before applying for the loan. My util was around 5% and it was my first loan.

Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on actual applicant approvals and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.