cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discrepancies between reports...please help!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discrepancies between reports...please help!

Hi everyone. Okay, so here's the deal. According to my credit reports, I have more open (although deferred) student loans with balances than what is listed through NSLDS. The credit report also lists a greater amount of debt than any of my other sources. I'm very confused by this!

I went through all of my paperwork since my first student loan (2006) and compared everything to the summary sheets from the University and the account information summary pages on both www.dl.ed.gov and www.nslds.ed.gov. Everything between these match up as they're supposed to. But the credit reports have 2 (on one 3) other loans/accounts listed, with balances, that cannot be accounted for elsewhere.

I have not paid any of my loans off so I have ruled out the possibility of it being a delay in reporting. I also have not taken out any more student loans since January of 2008. Basically, I'll spare you the details...once everything has been checked off and accounted for between the credit reports and previously mentioned documents, there are still 2 or 3 that cannot be accounted for. Should I be concerned about this? Is there something I should be doing?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discrepancies between reports...please help!

On the accounts that are reported that you believe are "extras" , check the account numbers. Is a double reporting of an account?

Check the dates, contact the loan servicer(like sallie mae, etc) wiith the account numbers of the "extras" and inquire about them.

I would try to solve it with whomever is reporting before disputing.

Message Edited by sidewinder on 05-30-2008 09:36 AM
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Know my SL's report separate Subsidized and Unsubsidized portions of my loans-  

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had the same problem. On my credit report, the loans are reported as follows:

1. Each loan taken out separately (ex. each semester loan was taken out)
2. Loans by group (ex. all sub. loans and then all unsub loans)
3. Consolidated loans (ex. if you consolidated all the loans you own)

So I actually have the same loans being reported three different ways. Why they do this, I don't know. If anyone knows how to keep this from happening, please let me know. I am in the process of having them correct some of the reporting mistakes now. They have me owing on my sub. loans and unsub. loans even thou I consolidated them.
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

It seems the are required to keep them separated-

The reason- If you go back to school-

My 4 loans- 2 Sub 2 Unsub consolidated to 1 sub and 1 unsub

I was not expecting 2 loans (reported) but at least it makes sense to me.  The wird thing was my CL was only reporting 2 loans until I consolidated- they then added the other 2 and the 2 new ones.   

WORKING_HARD wrote:
I had the same problem. On my credit report, the loans are reported as follows:

1. Each loan taken out separately (ex. each semester loan was taken out)
2. Loans by group (ex. all sub. loans and then all unsub loans)
3. Consolidated loans (ex. if you consolidated all the loans you own)

So I actually have the same loans being reported three different ways. Why they do this, I don't know. If anyone knows how to keep this from happening, please let me know. I am in the process of having them correct some of the reporting mistakes now. They have me owing on my sub. loans and unsub. loans even thou I consolidated them.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.