Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disputing Student Loan status

tag
Gallager2014
Valued Member

Disputing Student Loan status

I had a student loan with Loan 2 Learn aka Educap. My co-signer filed for bankruptcy back in 2009. In 2012, the loan reported as "Responsibilty Terminated", 0 balance, and "OK". The loan disappeared from my report in 2015. It is now back on my report but reporting as a charge-off/collections. How can I dispute this? I have a paper copy of my credit reports from 2014.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Disputing Student Loan status

To dispute anything on your credit report you would have to go through each of the three credit bureaus individually and file a dispute or claim, with documentation. Did you file bankruptcy as well, or just the co-signer?
Message 2 of 5
Gallager2014
Valued Member

Only the co-signer filed for bankruptcy. Currently the loan is only appearing on TU. What is the best method for disputing? Would the paper copies of my credit report help with the dispute process?

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Never dispute accounts without paper reports.  Using online reports fron monitoring sites means you may be missing important data that you can use to dispute inaccuracies.

Do your disputes in writing, as well.

Message 4 of 5
StartinOver
Frequent Contributor

It sounds as if you were paying yourt student loans until your co-signor filed bankruptcy. At thast time they were sent to a collector and someone should have notified you. What happened when you sent in your payment during bankruptcy of the co-signor?

It sounds as if you still owe the debt and nothing has changed. Whatever your co-sgnor did won't resolve either of you for the debt. They are only adding up and getting worse.

4/25/11 FICO: EQ 761....EX 770.....TU 744
3/6/2011 FICO: EQ 710... EX 718... TU 710
09/09 FICO: EQ: 525
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.