Credit Cards Center Credit cards from our partners
Reply
Super Contributor
Posts: 6,026
Registered: ‎09-18-2007
0

Do I have to PG for student loan for my daughter?

I have a 15 year old daughter who will be going to college in 2 years. I have tried to save enough for the college, but if she decides to goto med school, she might have to go for educational loan. Do I have to cosign for the educational loan or is it some thing she can get it on her own? How does this work?
Senior Contributor
Posts: 3,240
Registered: ‎04-03-2008
0

Re: Do I have to PG for student loan for my daughter?



concorduser wrote:
I have a 15 year old daughter who will be going to college in 2 years. I have tried to save enough for the college, but if she decides to goto med school, she might have to go for educational loan. Do I have to cosign for the educational loan or is it some thing she can get it on her own? How does this work?





Talking to a good college counselor or financial adviser NOW might save you LOTS of money down the road, because decisions you make NOW could have major implications for how much aid your daughter gets.

You probably won't need to cosign for the loan, BUT your daughter will need to fill out a long Federal form called a FAFSA so the college Financial Aid Office can calculate the "Estimated Family Contribution" according to a Federal formula. For that she will need all sorts numbers from your tax forms and other financial records. The college then subtracts their estimate of what it costs to be a student there from the estimated family contribution to determine how much she will get in fellowships and loans.

The really tricky aspect, and why I strongly suggest talking to an expert NOW, is that different types of assets owned by the parents and/or the student have different effects on how the Federal formula calculates aid eligibility. Make the wrong choice now an it could cost you and your daughter big bucks down the road.
TU 791 02/11/2013, EQ 800 1/29/2011 , EX Plus FAKO 812, EX Vantage Score 955 3/19/2010 wife's EQ 9/23/2009 803
EX always was my highest when we could pull all three
Always remember: big print giveth, small print taketh away
If you dunno what tanstaafl means you must Google it
Moderator Emeritus
Posts: 9,252
Registered: ‎03-19-2007
0

Re: Do I have to PG for student loan for my daughter?

This is great advice-
and the rules are constantly changing

MattH wrote:


concorduser wrote:
I have a 15 year old daughter who will be going to college in 2 years. I have tried to save enough for the college, but if she decides to goto med school, she might have to go for educational loan. Do I have to cosign for the educational loan or is it some thing she can get it on her own? How does this work?





Talking to a good college counselor or financial adviser NOW might save you LOTS of money down the road, because decisions you make NOW could have major implications for how much aid your daughter gets.

You probably won't need to cosign for the loan, BUT your daughter will need to fill out a long Federal form called a FAFSA so the college Financial Aid Office can calculate the "Estimated Family Contribution" according to a Federal formula. For that she will need all sorts numbers from your tax forms and other financial records. The college then subtracts their estimate of what it costs to be a student there from the estimated family contribution to determine how much she will get in fellowships and loans.

The really tricky aspect, and why I strongly suggest talking to an expert NOW, is that different types of assets owned by the parents and/or the student have different effects on how the Federal formula calculates aid eligibility. Make the wrong choice now an it could cost you and your daughter big bucks down the road.


Valued Member
Posts: 84
Registered: ‎05-02-2008
0

Re: Do I have to PG for student loan for my daughter?

Medical school does not require even good credit. Just tell her never to default on anything or file for bankruptcy and she'll be able to fund the entire thing herself.  As someone on their own, I would love any help from family, but at this point, as an adult, I would never expect it. Also, tell her to try to get into a state school, if possible. It'll make things easier down the road.
4/28/08-EQ 668
5/2/08- EQ 687 TU 670
6/15- EQ 722!!! TU 687
Frequent Contributor
Posts: 465
Registered: ‎06-13-2008
0

Re: Do I have to PG for student loan for my daughter?

[ Edited ]
I beg to differ.  As a former financial aid officer at a large state school with a medical school, 80% of all students using financial aid did need some private loans which are credit based.  The cost of attendance at a state school right now for medical school is $52k.  You cannot finance that all on federal aid.  Graduate PLUS loans are credit based. 


Message Edited by LynnInMN on 06-16-2008 03:25 PM
Ex-Financial Aid Officer

Ex-Student Loan Collector
Established Contributor
Posts: 945
Registered: ‎06-13-2008
0

Re: Do I have to PG for student loan for my daughter?

At the point that your daughter, six or more years from now, is in the position of having to apply for federal (18,500 max) and/or private student loans for med school, she should first attempt to get everything in her own name.  Only after being denied in her own name should you attempt to co-sign.
 
My grad school experience was that I was approved for all of the federal loans with no co-signer, but a co-signer was required for the private loans.
 
For law/med school, where you go is very important to your career prospects after the fact, and very competitive to even get in.  Lots of stuff to worry about later on.  At this point, seems to me that you're in great shape to have the ability to pay for her college.  And remember, we're talking about professional school--there's something to be said for the student having to figure this out (and apply for the financing, if necessary) for themselves.  My total student loan bill for grad school was north of $100k, and with that kind of debt, having to sign off on those loans yourself goes a long way for putting the good kind of fear-of-God in you.
Highlighted
Senior Contributor
Posts: 3,240
Registered: ‎04-03-2008
0

Re: Do I have to PG for student loan for my daughter?

[ Edited ]

jesslyn wrote:
...My total student loan bill for grad school was north of $100k, and with that kind of debt, having to sign off on those loans yourself goes a long way for putting the good kind of fear-of-God in you.




The cost of graduate school will depend on the field of study, in Business, Law, or Medicine it's almost entirely paid by loans, but in many more academic fields there are Teaching Assistant, Research Assistant, and Fellowship options.

I was a Teaching Assistant for most of my grad school years so when I finished my total debt was under $20K, and when I was a Postdoc they paid me (not much, but enough to get by without going further into debt). Once I started working in industry (I'm in pharmaceutical R&D), I paid off the remaining debt very quickly.

My wife, whom I met and married in grad school, had a fellowship for several years.

Toward the end when our Assistantship and Fellowship support had run out, she worked nearly full time in a clinical lab and I worked part time in food service for a while to make ends meet without incurring too much more debt. I hope I never again have to work food service, but it did make us consistent tippers since we learned what it's like getting part of one's income from tips!

Message Edited by MattH on 06-26-2008 06:46 PM
TU 791 02/11/2013, EQ 800 1/29/2011 , EX Plus FAKO 812, EX Vantage Score 955 3/19/2010 wife's EQ 9/23/2009 803
EX always was my highest when we could pull all three
Always remember: big print giveth, small print taketh away
If you dunno what tanstaafl means you must Google it
Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on actual applicant approvals and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.