cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do Student Loans look bad for lenders?

tag
SCF
Valued Contributor

Re: Do Student Loans look bad for lenders?

Consolidation alone does not remove any late payments.  It will close your current tradelines and create 1 or more new tradelines (depending on how many types of loans you had) with a single lender, to whom you make a single payment.  It can definitely lower your payment and make your student loan debt much easier to keep track of.

Message 11 of 15
anniev2

I've had similar issue with SL, it was transferred but old TL has baddies, but I believe I was in defer/forbear at time. I think I will dispute bc I called old TL and they said they don't have my records to tell me but new TL does. New TL has long history with perfect payments. I think dispute is best option.
"FAKO" TU 638 (3/27/13)
FICO EQ 624 (3/19/13)
Message 12 of 15
SCF
Valued Contributor

If you believe the lates are a mistake, you should get together any proof (like letters showing deferrment status) and dispute them.  If the lates are correct, the best option is to request a goodwill adjustment of the reporting.  Disputing correct items can cause more trouble than it's worth.

Message 13 of 15
anniev2

SCF - what is the consequence of disputing correct items?  At this point I beleive t hem to be incorrect, but if they are found not to be how does that harm me?  I haven't been educated on this. 

I haven't kept the best records on my SLs, everything else I did, not sure why not on those.  I need to look through my docs to see if I can find something.  I bet I do have supporting documents.

"FAKO" TU 638 (3/27/13)
FICO EQ 624 (3/19/13)
Message 14 of 15
SCF
Valued Contributor

@anniev2 wrote:

SCF - what is the consequence of disputing correct items?  At this point I beleive t hem to be incorrect, but if they are found not to be how does that harm me?  I haven't been educated on this. 

It can cause the entire account to disappear, behave unexpectedly (disappear, reappear with some/all of the lates, I've heard crazy things) or lead the lender to correct other mistakes on the account that might not be in your favor.  If you repeatedly dispute correct information, the CRAs will flag you and be less likely to take your disputes seriously in the future.  If the lender keeps track of it, it may also impact your ability to work with them on other things.  This is all a tracking game, everyone can see everyone else's move, but whether they act on that information is another thing.

It also wastes time and resources that should be devoted to fix actual errors, which a quick glance at these boards will tell you abound.  It's also dishonest, when you dispute, you are saying you believe the info to be incorrect, not just that you would rather it wasn't there.

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.