Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DoE lied, now I'm screwed?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

DoE lied, now I'm screwed?

Back in March, my student loans were in default. I called the collection office for the Dept. of Education to see what could be done to get the accounts current and have the collection/default accounts removed from my credit reports. I was told I had two options; Rehabilitation or refinancing/consolidating. I was also specifically told that either one would end with the lines on my credit report being removed. Not updated, specifically removed.

So it's nine months later, I've refinanced my loans, made payments, stayed current and kept to my agreement. Trade lines are still on my EQ and EX reports. I called the DoE to request they remove them from those CRAs, and they told me that refinancing results in an updated trade line, not a removal. So, in essence, I was either lied to or given wrong information, and because I chose what seemed like the more reasonable option for me at the time, I've got no chance of having these removed from my credit now. Is there anything at all that can be done? I'm getting screwed by no fault of my own, and I would've 100% done the rehabilitation over refinancing if I had known this at the time and been told the correct info. I'm so upset and angry.

Message 1 of 1
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.