kentucky_golfer

Does Direct Loans pull your credit when applying for consolidation?

We are closing on a home next week and I am wanting to consolidate my federal student loans.  However, I do not want a hard inquiry pop up right before closing.  Does Direct Loans pull a hard when you consolidate, or should I just wait until after we close?

Thanks!

New Contributor
moneypenny02

Re: Does Direct Loans pull your credit when applying for consolidation?

I would like to know the answer to this as well!

Community Leader<br> Valued Contributor</br>
Community Leader
Valued Contributor
SCF

I don't think so, because the loan is not based on your credit-worthiness, just the status and type of your loans.

BUT, I would just wait to do anything until your mortgage closes.  It's not worth the risk just to move the process up a few days.

Regular Contributor
loviedovie

SCF wrote:

I don't think so, because the loan is not based on your credit-worthiness, just the status and type of your loans.

BUT, I would just wait to do anything until your mortgage closes.  It's not worth the risk just to move the process up a few days.

They didn't for me. 

Not sure if they do as a general rule...

Starting Score: EXP 615 | TU 610 | EQ 635
Current Score: EXP 719 (lender pull 10/15) | TU 707 | EQ 700 (lender pull 10/25)
Goal Score: 740
New Contributor
moneypenny02

One thing that you may want to consider, and that I DO know, is that the consolidation loan WILL show up as a new line of credit.  It hit me when I did the special consolidation last year, and I am expecting it to hit me again when I complete the regular consolidation.  I'm not sure how long it takes to recover from that, or exactly how significant the hit will be.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}