Reply
Regular Contributor
audia4
Posts: 591
Registered: ‎11-08-2012
0

Re: Does having a student loan help or hurt your credit?


laz98 wrote:

Once you get the letter, maybe we can get a better idea of how to get an approval for you!  :smileyhappy:


Ok, I'll keep you posted. I was just wondering, do you still have access to these boards if you don't keep your subscription to FICO after the 10 day trial? Also, how do you update seeing your credit report on here so that I can see if they pulled my credit to begin with?

 

TU: 804 EQ: 810 EX 785


***$7500*** **$10,000*** **$9000**** ***$10250*** **$10,000*** ***$4500*** ***$6000*** ***$8000*** ***open*******open***



Community Leader
Senior Contributor
laz98
Posts: 4,294
Registered: ‎09-06-2008
0

Re: Does having a student loan help or hurt your credit?


audia4 wrote:

laz98 wrote:

Once you get the letter, maybe we can get a better idea of how to get an approval for you!  :smileyhappy:


Ok, I'll keep you posted. I was just wondering, do you still have access to these boards if you don't keep your subscription to FICO after the 10 day trial? Also, how do you update seeing your credit report on here so that I can see if they pulled my credit to begin with?



Yes, the forums are separate from the products you buy.  The reports do not update.  If you want to check for changes, you would have to buy a new report.  You can use a monitoring service like CreditKarma to see when things change on your report for free.  Just ignore the scores & advice there, sometimes it's not the best.

Latest scores: Walmart TU: 766. MyFICO TU: ---. DCU EQ: 741. PSECU EX: 756.
Regular Contributor
audia4
Posts: 591
Registered: ‎11-08-2012
0

Re: Does having a student loan help or hurt your credit?


laz98 wrote:


Yes, the forums are separate from the products you buy.  The reports do not update.  If you want to check for changes, you would have to buy a new report.  You can use a monitoring service like CreditKarma to see when things change on your report for free.  Just ignore the scores & advice there, sometimes it's not the best.


 

Do you use Credit Karma? I just heard about this last night from my daughter and was reading up on it. A lot of people like it and a lot of people hate it. I'm just wondering how accurate it is. Also, I don't quite understand them being able to provide it for free? How would they stay in business then? Also, does it pull any type of inquiry or soft inquiry every time they pull your account (since it's not actually YOU pulling your own and paying for it)?

TU: 804 EQ: 810 EX 785


***$7500*** **$10,000*** **$9000**** ***$10250*** **$10,000*** ***$4500*** ***$6000*** ***$8000*** ***open*******open***



Community Leader
Senior Contributor
laz98
Posts: 4,294
Registered: ‎09-06-2008
0

Re: Does having a student loan help or hurt your credit?


audia4 wrote:

laz98 wrote:


Yes, the forums are separate from the products you buy.  The reports do not update.  If you want to check for changes, you would have to buy a new report.  You can use a monitoring service like CreditKarma to see when things change on your report for free.  Just ignore the scores & advice there, sometimes it's not the best.


 Do you use Credit Karma? I just heard about this last night from my daughter and was reading up on it. A lot of people like it and a lot of people hate it. I'm just wondering how accurate it is. Also, I don't quite understand them being able to provide it for free? How would they stay in business then? Also, does it pull any type of inquiry or soft inquiry every time they pull your account (since it's not actually YOU pulling your own and paying for it)?


I actually don't use CreditKarma anymore, because I didn't really care for the layout, but that's just a preference.

 

To be honest, I don't really understand how some of these type of services are able to do it for free, either!  Credit Sesame is another one like CK.

 

It is a soft inquiry, because technically you are in fact pulling your own reports, just via a 3rd party service.  It will not hurt your score at all.

Latest scores: Walmart TU: 766. MyFICO TU: ---. DCU EQ: 741. PSECU EX: 756.
Established Contributor
bahbahd
Posts: 731
Registered: ‎08-12-2011
0

Re: Does having a student loan help or hurt your credit?

[ Edited ]

I just recently signed up for Credit Karma and Sesame this past month. I have already stopped using Sesame.  Karma I check still just for a TU update. I also subscribe to TU, EX and EQ service in addition to Score Watch.  I pay too much a month to monitor and check reports. I will cut this back soon, but not yet.

 

Credit Karma is good for only one thing, free monitoring of your TU report for changes. Everything else it provides is sub-par in my opinion. These sites are able to provide this service for free since they are basically huge advertising tools. They are covered in ads for services. Suggestions for credit repair services, card issuers, personal loans, banking accounts, auto/life insurance, etc. All these "featured partners" are how this site makes money.  It's a bunch of garbage. I wish I had never signed up, giving CS and CK my SSN.

Regular Contributor
audia4
Posts: 591
Registered: ‎11-08-2012
0

Re: Does having a student loan help or hurt your credit?


bahbahd wrote:

I just recently signed up for Credit Karma and Sesame this past month. I have already stopped using Sesame.  Karma I check still just for a TU update. I also subscribe to TU, EX and EQ service in addition to Score Watch.  I pay too much a month to monitor and check reports. I will cut this back soon, but not yet.

 

Credit Karma is good for only one thing, free monitoring of your TU report for changes. Everything else it provides is sub-par in my opinion. These sites are able to provide this service for free since they are basically huge advertising tools. They are covered in ads for services. Suggestions for credit repair services, card issuers, personal loans, banking accounts, auto/life insurance, etc. All these "featured partners" are how this site makes money.  It's a bunch of garbage. I wish I had never signed up, giving CS and CK my SSN.


 

So they only get "paid" if you are clicking on some of the advertisements and using those services right?

 

By you saying you wish you had never signed up and gave them your SS number...what will they do with it? Do they share it with all of their partners that are advertising on the website? Can there be any security breach with them using it?

 

I signed up the other night, but of course I couldn't get anything since I have that block on my TU account. I'm wondering if I should call TU and have them remove the block now. I know when I had them put it on there they said that if I ever wanted it removed, it would just cost something like $5 to have it done. It seems to be hurting me in the long run by not being able to pull it by other companies that only use that report.

 

TU: 804 EQ: 810 EX 785


***$7500*** **$10,000*** **$9000**** ***$10250*** **$10,000*** ***$4500*** ***$6000*** ***$8000*** ***open*******open***



Regular Contributor
audia4
Posts: 591
Registered: ‎11-08-2012
0

Re: Does having a student loan help or hurt your credit?


laz98 wrote:

I actually don't use CreditKarma anymore, because I didn't really care for the layout, but that's just a preference.

 

To be honest, I don't really understand how some of these type of services are able to do it for free, either!  Credit Sesame is another one like CK.

 

It is a soft inquiry, because technically you are in fact pulling your own reports, just via a 3rd party service.  It will not hurt your score at all.


That relieves my mind to know that it's only a soft inquiry then. I was afraid it would be an actual inquiry from THEM pulling it every time, which would completely screw someone up if they didn't know.

 

I will have to check out Sesame...if it's free, why not. Are they only TU as well?

 

TU: 804 EQ: 810 EX 785


***$7500*** **$10,000*** **$9000**** ***$10250*** **$10,000*** ***$4500*** ***$6000*** ***$8000*** ***open*******open***



Established Contributor
bahbahd
Posts: 731
Registered: ‎08-12-2011
0

Re: Does having a student loan help or hurt your credit?

[ Edited ]

audia4 wrote:

bahbahd wrote:

I just recently signed up for Credit Karma and Sesame this past month. I have already stopped using Sesame.  Karma I check still just for a TU update. I also subscribe to TU, EX and EQ service in addition to Score Watch.  I pay too much a month to monitor and check reports. I will cut this back soon, but not yet.

 

Credit Karma is good for only one thing, free monitoring of your TU report for changes. Everything else it provides is sub-par in my opinion. These sites are able to provide this service for free since they are basically huge advertising tools. They are covered in ads for services. Suggestions for credit repair services, card issuers, personal loans, banking accounts, auto/life insurance, etc. All these "featured partners" are how this site makes money.  It's a bunch of garbage. I wish I had never signed up, giving CS and CK my SSN.


 

So they only get "paid" if you are clicking on some of the advertisements and using those services right?

 

By you saying you wish you had never signed up and gave them your SS number...what will they do with it? Do they share it with all of their partners that are advertising on the website? Can there be any security breach with them using it?

 

I signed up the other night, but of course I couldn't get anything since I have that block on my TU account. I'm wondering if I should call TU and have them remove the block now. I know when I had them put it on there they said that if I ever wanted it removed, it would just cost something like $5 to have it done. It seems to be hurting me in the long run by not being able to pull it by other companies that only use that report.

 


I do not believe they share my info with third-parties but I have not looked very close into that. I did not think they did when I signed up. They don't have to share. The advertising partner companies can give all the criteria to CK or CS and then they will determine who/what you match up with by using the info you gave them and your report that they are analyzing for free. I doubt their site is any more or less vulnerable than any other place your enter your SSN. The less places you enter it the more secure your SSN is though.  I guess I am mostly peeved with myself because I signed up for a free service which is basically a huge advertising stream with very little value add.

 

I hate free stuff that comes with a huge clause - gmail, hulu, etc...  Free but we own your data, free but we will datamine your usage and sell that, free but you have to have a facebook login and use that to access the site, free but you gotta deal with all the sub-par things we will advertise to you.

Community Leader
Senior Contributor
laz98
Posts: 4,294
Registered: ‎09-06-2008
0

Re: Does having a student loan help or hurt your credit?

I think Credit Sesame is an Experian product.

Latest scores: Walmart TU: 766. MyFICO TU: ---. DCU EQ: 741. PSECU EX: 756.
Regular Contributor
audia4
Posts: 591
Registered: ‎11-08-2012
0

Re: Does having a student loan help or hurt your credit?


laz98 wrote:

I think Credit Sesame is an Experian product.


So then in reality, if you wanted to monitor what actually goes on with your credit reports, it would be wise to sign up for both to monitor them? You just won't get the score. I mean even if the way it looks isn't appealing (which I haven't got that far I guess), it will still give you everything that's being reported on your credit. That is definitely something I would like to monitor to make sure that it reflects my payments and when my 1 bad negative thing falls off next year. I also want to be informed if something goes on it that shouldn't be or anything new.

 

Is my logic of thinking right? It can't hurt anything right?

 

TU: 804 EQ: 810 EX 785


***$7500*** **$10,000*** **$9000**** ***$10250*** **$10,000*** ***$4500*** ***$6000*** ***$8000*** ***open*******open***




myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+