cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does having a student loan help or hurt your credit?

tag
hopingsoon
Regular Contributor

Re: Does having a student loan help or hurt your credit?

Boo! My latest student loan just hit my CR and dropped my score 12 points. It shows as "pays as agreed" and deferred payment but it stil dropped my score, probably because it added debt and lowered my AAoA. 

I'm getting motion sickness from all these ups and downs!

Starting Score: FAKOs EQ 537 TU 497 EX 517
Current Score 7/11/13: FICOs EQ 650 TU 659 EX 655
Goal Score: 675 Who am I kidding? Goal Score: 750+ Smiley Happy

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 11 of 24
Sitori
Frequent Contributor

That must be why mine dropped from 700 to 677 . That plus the new credit card. I wish I had known it counted as a new account before I got it! Lol.
Does it count as an inquiry too bc I have 8 last year!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EQ 701, TU 685, EX ?
Wallet:
Amazon store $2500(10/12), Cap1 $1500 (10/12), Discover $1700 (11/1/12).
Message 12 of 24
InvincibleSummer3
Established Contributor

@Sitori wrote:
That must be why mine dropped from 700 to 677 . That plus the new credit card. I wish I had known it counted as a new account before I got it! Lol.
Does it count as an inquiry too bc I have 8 last year!

Mine didn't. There was no credit check for a federal loan, so if that's what yours are there shouldn't be.

Message 13 of 24
FocusedAndDetermined
Senior Contributor

@Sitori wrote:

I'm still trying to figure this stuff out too.

My CR says that I opened 6 accounts last year....but I was so confused because I only opened 3 new credit cards. Apparently the other 3 are showing as student loans. Now its stating I have a total of 9 accounts open...but I only actually have 4 credit cards.  I had gotten a student loan back in 08, but was paying on it until I got back into school last year. It went into defferment, and now I have taken out 2 more student loans last semester. I think I have a total of around 10,000 in student loans. 

Are these considered installment loans?  Do these look good in a mix with having credit card accounts?

I have to continue taking more loans out each semester for the next 2 years! ugh!  I wont be paying on them until I'm done with school and get a job. So I'm not sure how this is affecting my report either.

Since it's no longer being paid on, is it still reporting? Is it just reporting as a new account with a high balance?  Is this hurting my score or doing nothing?

I have to apply for new credit in the next couple of months, and now I'm concerned that they will look at these "new accounts" with high balances, and deny me.

Yes, student loans are installment loans, and can help a little with credit mix.  Since you were paying on your earlier loan, that account should have a good history.  Not sure how lenders factor in students returning to school, and placing loans back into deferrment.  Perhaps someone with experience will post.

Message 14 of 24
Sitori
Frequent Contributor

@hopingsoon.... I got an alert yesterday and it shows both my recent student loans from last semester were just sold. It says the same thing as yours "pays as agreed", but all of them are in deferrment since I'm still in school.  My EQ score went up 33 points!!! I went from 660 to 693!!  I have no clue if this has anything to do with it....I paid off my Cap1 last month so I'm sure that has something to do with it as well but it was only a couple hundred dollars.  My loans were just opened last Aug. and Oct. so it has to be hurting my AAoA too. I don't know if them being sold is showing something different and added something to my score, or if it was just a coincidence lol.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EQ 701, TU 685, EX ?
Wallet:
Amazon store $2500(10/12), Cap1 $1500 (10/12), Discover $1700 (11/1/12).
Message 15 of 24
Dreamwalker
New Contributor

To summarize, from my experience (my servicer is Great Lakes, if it matters):

-Drops AAoA

-No HP

-Had two semesters on one loan, not sure what will happen with the next one, but I intend to consolidate, so it will probably create a new account anyway.

-Reports 'paid' every month, regardless of whether I make a payment or not.

-Sometimes counts in Debt-to-Income, this can usually be explained to a real person™ as deferred.

Walmart Store Card: $600 & Amazon Store Card: $1200
Amazon.com Visa: $500 & Chase Freedom: $3000
US Bank REI Visa Signature: $5500
Discover It: $100

TU-654 [03/18/2014]
Message 16 of 24
hopingsoon
Regular Contributor

@Sitori wrote:

@hopingsoon.... I got an alert yesterday and it shows both my recent student loans from last semester were just sold. It says the same thing as yours "pays as agreed", but all of them are in deferrment since I'm still in school.  My EQ score went up 33 points!!! I went from 660 to 693!!  I have no clue if this has anything to do with it....I paid off my Cap1 last month so I'm sure that has something to do with it as well but it was only a couple hundred dollars.  My loans were just opened last Aug. and Oct. so it has to be hurting my AAoA too. I don't know if them being sold is showing something different and added something to my score, or if it was just a coincidence lol.

33 points, nice! I'm jealous lol.

Starting Score: FAKOs EQ 537 TU 497 EX 517
Current Score 7/11/13: FICOs EQ 650 TU 659 EX 655
Goal Score: 675 Who am I kidding? Goal Score: 750+ Smiley Happy

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 17 of 24
ronstar7
Established Contributor

So if anyone can help, it would be great!!

My oldest student loan is from 2004, not late it was either refinanced or renewed with another lender. Because of that the status says closed and it is not reporting on my CR's. my AAOA is showing 1 year and 9 months, which is not true. Why arent these old loans from 9 years ago not showing? Wouldnt that boost my AAOF and show that I have actually had credit for a while now and not 9 years ago? Also if it does how can I get it to begin showing? Or should I just leave it be?

Starting scores 12/1/15 EQ 601, TU 626, EX 601

Current Scores 9/17/17 EQ 686 TU 702 EX 655 Goal 700+ across
UTL 7%
Last Inq: 9/20/17
Message 18 of 24
InvincibleSummer3
Established Contributor

Tradelines can report up to ten years after closing, but a lender is not required to do so. They can drop them off your reports early.

Message 19 of 24
ronstar7
Established Contributor

No I want them to show because wont that be good for my AAOA? It looks good if youve had credit longer right?

Starting scores 12/1/15 EQ 601, TU 626, EX 601

Current Scores 9/17/17 EQ 686 TU 702 EX 655 Goal 700+ across
UTL 7%
Last Inq: 9/20/17
Message 20 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.