cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Downside to Re-Amortizing Consolidated Loans?

tag
stan_the_man
Established Contributor

Downside to Re-Amortizing Consolidated Loans?

I was going through the Nelnet website and making an extra payment on DW's student loans and I noticed a link for "Lower My Payments" on their site.

After plugging in some data on income and whatnot, they offered four options:

A) Standard

B) Graduated

C) Income Sensitive

D) Interest Only Deferment

Because we've been paying about 4-5 times the original monthly payment amount, it appears that we can re-amortize the loan to reduce the required monthly minimum under standard repayment terms to about half the original amortization amount.

First, have no direct financial need to do this -- we have steady jobs, good financial reserves, etc. The indirect benefit would be that when we enter the home purchase market in late 2012 or early 2013 that we will have a lower debt to income ratio for the loan (we would reduce our debt to income ratio by about 1%).

Second, we have no intention of lowering our monthly payments so the reduced payment will not result in more interest charges.

My concern is that I'm missing something and there will be some bad credit reporting as the result of this change.

Another concern I have is that it may make more sense to wait as long as possible to make the change, because we will have an even lower required payment because of our additional pay downs. Are there any restrictions as to how many times you can re-amoritize a loan?

FYI -- These are consolidated loans where Nelnet is both the servicer and the lender.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
IOBA
Senior Contributor

Re: Downside to Re-Amortizing Consolidated Loans?

My opinion based on previous experience..

* if you do not have a financial need to refinance, then don't!

* always verify that the extra money in the payment is being applied to principle ONLY!   Lenders will sometimes apply the extra to future payments or to future interest.

* the lender wants to keep you on the hook as long as possible...the longer you owe, the more they make!

My two cents.

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Give Nelnet a call to determine which payment plan may work best for you. 1.888.486.4722

Message 3 of 5
jslopez3

Thats funny, I guess they use the search engine to find out who's talking about their company! Smiley Tongue

Message 4 of 5
IOBA
Senior Contributor

Not only is Big Brother watching you, now the BB in other countries are watching you!!

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.