Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drowning in Education Loan Debt

tag
1602roumfort
New Visitor

Drowning in Education Loan Debt

I have what I consider to be a fairly common problem. MySocial Worker daughter has a huge Sallie Mae ediucational loan requiring a montly payment of over $650.00 per month. Given her salary, she is struggling financially. Will Sallie Mae renegotiate to lower the monthly payment and extend the loan. She is not asking for forgiveness of her debt. She simply needs to lower the monthly.

Thanks,

Retired Dad

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
InvincibleSummer3
Established Contributor

Re: Drowning in Education Loan Debt

Is this a private loan or federal loan? If it's the latter, she could call Sallie Mae and see about an IBR (income-based repayment) or ICR (income-contingent repayment) plan.

The first thing to do is to start with getting in touch with the lender.

Message 2 of 4
1602roumfort
New Visitor

Thanks very much......I'm not sure whether thr loan is from a private lender or the feds but will check. Thanks again for your response

Message 3 of 4
kjel
Established Contributor

Additionally, if the loans are federal student loans your daughter might qualify for the 10 year public service debt forgiveness program if she works for local, state or federal government, a non-profit organization, or tax-exempt organization. 10 years worth of on time qualifying payments must be made, however a number of the reduced/extended payment options do qualify. More info --> http://studentaid.ed.gov/sites/default/files/public-service-loan-forgiveness.pdf

First things first, figure out the nature of the loans and who is servicing them.

Current Score: TU: 674 | EQ: 722 | EX: 717 | Last Inq. 2/16/15...Locked Up in The Garden
NFCU Cash Rewards $14K | Chase Sapphire Preferred $5K | Amex Blue Cash Preferred $6K | Cap1 Quicksilver One Visa $9K

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.