Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EQ Alert: Direct Loans Closed??

tag
ArisGreek
Frequent Contributor

EQ Alert: Direct Loans Closed??

Not so fast....

I got an alert on Equifax today saying my $30k loan from Direct Loans Consolidation (The Govt Consolidation) was closed.  And I thought, "This has to be a mistake. It's closed? No way did I get 30k for free." LOL.

Well it's not a mistake. It's correct, however, they are splitting all of your loans that you have into 2-3 separate loans. So yes, you will have 3 loans showing up on your credit report instead of one now, if you had consolidated years ago which I did.  

I spoke to 3 different people and they said it will not report utilization or count towards any ratios or credit scoring. I find this sort of hard to believe but all 3 people said the same thing.

I am VERY cautious about this. I'm really irritated. For some reason I know my score is going to go down. I seriously don't trust what these reps said. 

===========
TU: 745(TU98) | EQ: 774 | EX: ? | NO BADDIES!
What's in my wallet? AMEX Platinum, United Presidential Plus World Elite MC, AMEX JetBlue, Nordstrom Visa Sig, Chase Sapphire Preferred, Discover More, AMEX Zync, Citi AAdvantage Plat Select Visa, Banana Republic, Home Depot
Message 1 of 29
28 REPLIES 28
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

Re: EQ Alert: Direct Loans Closed??

If they split it into three loans with the original opening date, I wouldn't think it would do anything to your score except it would affect number of accounts with balances, but that is minor.

If they set it up as three new loans with a current opening date, I would think it would lower your AAoA, which may effect your score.

But I don't see how it will affect utilization.  Your utilization is going to stay the same, and installment utilization has very little effect on your score. 

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 29
mountainmom
Frequent Contributor

Both my direct loans started reporting "closed due to inactivity" today!

I haven't received any alert from MYFICO yet.

I too am worried if it will affect my score - I'm in the middle of a mortgage! And mine are NOT consolidated. Just two seperate loans.

Eq 702 TU 707 Exp 718
Message 3 of 29
wamcon
Valued Member

Mine too but their website change over has messed my account all up now this woorries me.  A closed account with a large balance showing cannot be good regardless of my score.

Starting Score: 552 Nov 2010
Current Score: 681 Mar 20113

Message 4 of 29
mountainmom
Frequent Contributor

Well I got a MyFICO alert today. No change to my score though ...whew!

Eq 702 TU 707 Exp 718
Message 5 of 29
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

@wamcon wrote:

Mine too but their website change over has messed my account all up now this woorries me.  A closed account with a large balance showing cannot be good regardless of my score.

Once they open up the new tradelines, if you still have this reporting with a balance on the old loan and balances on the new loan, should be a fairly simple fix.  I had a loan that was consolidated into another loan but the original loan was still reporting a balance.  I filed a dispute and it was corrected pretty quickly.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)

Message 6 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just got this alert this morning as well. Really frustrating that their website is garbage and that no one picks up at CS. They won't pick up the phone, but have no problem with restructuring our loans and reporting lates. Bye bye, good credit!

Message 7 of 29
Booner72
Senior Contributor

Yep.  Got a SW alert today that my loan is sold and balance is zero.  Came directly to this site.  Currently on hold w/ them.  Was worried they'd report me late this month since I couldn't log in to pay my bill, but apparently that's not something I need to worry about anymore.

Yep, my AAOA is TOASTED!

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 8 of 29
Booner72
Senior Contributor

FINALLY got through.  The CSR says I'm crazy that they just updated late this month which is why the balance is showing as zero.  She says wait til next month (She says they report on the 3rd Sunday of every month btw) and if things are still looking weird to send them a copy of my credit report.  She says she has gotten NO other calls from people that got credit report alerts.  She was extremely irritated with my frantic ways.  She nearly hung up on me!!!!!

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 9 of 29
mountainmom
Frequent Contributor

Well it's definitely not just you.

Mine updated to closed last week; now it shows transferred/sold and zero balance. I haven't called them though.

Eq 702 TU 707 Exp 718
Message 10 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.