Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EdFinancial late pay - sharing info

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

EdFinancial late pay - sharing info

I have four previous latepays from 2012/2013 on my student loans. When I contacted EdFinancial to ask if they could help me investigate whether these late pays were during forbearance, I received an email detailing  the specifics for my situation (forbearance the month after), then wrote this:

We are only able to consider modifying past reports under very extenuating circumstances, such as: if you were receiving unemployment benefits, if you were receiving public assistance, if you should have been on a Military Deferment, or if you should have been on an In-School Deferment. If any of these situations apply to the time you were reported past due, please send proof of benefits, military orders, or verification of enrollment."

I believe we were receiving food benefits at the time, so I am checking with DSHS. If we were, I can have the reports "modified".

Just wanted to put that out there for anyone who might fit one of these categories. Student loan late pays are hard to get rid of!  

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: EdFinancial late pay - sharing info

Edfinancial is a nightmare They refuse to remove late pay records on months when I owed 0$ based on Income Contingency They sent me the exact email you posted Everything they reported to Eqifax is wrong from Bance amt, monthly payments and when I disputed they changed nothing. My TU shows $50,000 less on balance so they are not consistent Horrible customer service This is one bad company but I email and keep disputing It has been my new morning routine to see how mean they respond when I say I didn't send the form on time because my brother had terminal brain cancer and as soon as he passed, my Mom was diagnosed with pancreatic. Two deceased immediate family members and still they won't remove the 120 day late for my $0 payments because form was lateSmiley Sad(((
Message 2 of 8
Tazman81
Established Contributor

Thank you for sharing your experience.  I didn't realize they take a look at assistance benefits, but it does make sense.  Best of luck getting everything corrected with your documentation.  Let us know how the process goes.

Current Score: Eq: 823 Tu: 830
Goal Score: Eq: 850 Tu: 850

Wallet: PenFed Power Cash 50k | AMEX Blue Cash (AU) 49.5k | Cap One QSMC 26.5k | AMEX Platinum NPSL | USAA Signature Visa 25k
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

So, EdFinancial said they would need documentation of our  time on benefits. 

I spoke with DSHS today, and they confirmed that all of my student loan lates happened during times we were receiving food benefits. (don't be judge-y please, many people have hard times) They are sending me the original copies of the acceptance letters so I can submit them to EdFin. I just emailed EdFin to let hem know, and asked if I should send copies to them, or if  I should fax them over when they arrive. I don't expect the letters will be here before the middle of next week. 

I am starting to become slightly encouraged that this could happen. This would result in four 120-lates and four 90 day lates being removed. I'm not  counting my chickens,  though.

Message 4 of 8
Tazman81
Established Contributor

No judgement at all in these forums.  I agree, we all go through difficult times.  

I appreciate you sharing your story with us.  I know that your experience will help someone in the future that runs into a similar situation.  I am also glad to have learned something new regarding student loans as I would not have thought to ask this question.

I agree, this is looking positive to be able to get those lates removed as it seems there should have been some foreberance during this time.  Great information, and thank you again for sharing.  I know this is going to be most helpful in the future.

Current Score: Eq: 823 Tu: 830
Goal Score: Eq: 850 Tu: 850

Wallet: PenFed Power Cash 50k | AMEX Blue Cash (AU) 49.5k | Cap One QSMC 26.5k | AMEX Platinum NPSL | USAA Signature Visa 25k
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, @tazman81 ! 

These forums have been such a great resource for me, I am trying to share the info I find out for the reasons you mentioned. 

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks JJC37 for the info! It actually helped my DW get 24 lates(across 4 loans) during forbearance removed since she was receiving Unemployment during the forbearance. 

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's so great that it worked! I'm glad I could help. 

Now, if DSHS would hurry and send those letters I could get rid of mine, too!

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.