Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Eight closed Dept. of Edu loans...?

tag
megaman1
Regular Contributor

Eight closed Dept. of Edu loans...?

I've recently checked on creditkarma and it says that eight dept of edu accounts were closed... Should I call someone to get this sorted out because I think it affects my credit scores and it wasn't my fault they shut down their lending services...? My loans are managed by Great Lakes now if that helps.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
tomfromrictmame
Frequent Contributor

Re: Eight closed Dept. of Edu loans...?

You should pull your actual CR's from EX, EQ and TU to see how these are reporting.  Did you rehab the loans?  Are they baddies?  Depending on their status, you likely want them to stay if they are positive TL's.

AMEX Platinum NPSL | BofA Cash Rewards Visa $50K | NFCU Sig Visa $27K | Chase Marriott Rewards Visa $25K | AMEX Delta Skymiles $25K | BofA Sig Visa $25K | First Tech Odyssey MC $25K | AMEX HHonors Surpass $23K | Chase United Club Unlimited Visa $20K | Barclays AAdvantage WMC $17K | NFCU LOC $15K | NASA Platinum Visa $15K| NFCU Sig Visa $14K
Message 2 of 5
Pat94108
Frequent Contributor

If your loans were transferred then there's not much you can do. My loans were transferred from Wells Fargo to a different lender a few years ago so it says "Transferred and closed" on my credit report.
Message 3 of 5
AAstra
Regular Contributor

Unfortunately there is nothing you can do about this. Student loans through the government are outsourced and serviced by other soures such as Fedloan Servicing, Great Lakes, etc. Servicers do change from time to time and when this happens the loan is transferred/closed and then opened as a new loan through the new servicer. Like another poster I had a situation where loans that were once done through Wells Fargo got dumped to the Dept. of Ed and states transferred/closed on the CRs.

FICO - TU: 815 | EQ: 793 | EX: 813

Sears MasterCard: $13k (1/2013)
Capital One Venture One Visa Signature: $10k (7/2015)
Amex BCE: $9.8k (3/2014)
Amex Corporate: NPSL
Chase Freedom Visa Signature: $9.5k (3/2014)
Discover it: $9.5k (3/2014)
Barclaycard Visa with Apple Rewards: $2.65k (6/2013)
Message 4 of 5
MingleJill
Established Member

:Bump:

This also happened to me, a ton of my federal student loans were transfered to Great Lakes. They all have baddies (and a lot). Any chance I can get the TL deleted?

Starting Score Fakos Nov' 13: 570 EX, 567 EQ, 553 TU
Feb '14:: 647 FICO '08 Ex, 584 EQ fako, 614 TU (walmart)
Judgement vacated Jan '14. Working on the Repo and 6 more baddies!

**Had 1 $300 card in Nov '13. Now have $10k NFCU Visa! **
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.