Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Equifax double reporting

tag
Hdcut18
Established Member

Equifax double reporting

So the only thing holding me back is my Equifax, it really hasn't grown as much as tu and exp. I noticed that there double reporting some stuff mainly my student loan making look like I owe more than I do. Now I've tried online, phone and standard mail disputes. No dice. I Even used a credit repair company, again nothing. What should I do next before I get a lawyer? I'd hate to spend all that money just to a couple errors corrected. Thanks in advanced
First priemier 300, capital one secured 850, capital one platinum 500, capital one quicksilver 500, Barclay MasterCard 1000.

Myfico ex 588, tu 621, ex 606
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
SCF
Valued Contributor

Re: Equifax double reporting

Are the entries completely identical?  With the same balance, payment history and account number?

Have you tried contacting the company that is reporting incorrectly and asking them to help you resolve it?

What response are you getting to your disputes?  Are they coming back verified?  Being ignored?

Message 2 of 9
Hdcut18
Established Member

Yea same everything , actually I haven't should I?
First priemier 300, capital one secured 850, capital one platinum 500, capital one quicksilver 500, Barclay MasterCard 1000.

Message 3 of 9
Hdcut18
Established Member

The disputes are being ignored

Message 4 of 9
SCF
Valued Contributor

Contacting the company with the incorrect reporting is almost always a good first step.  Ultimately, the CRA will ask that company to confirm or deny the information that you dispute, so by contacting them, you are trying to correct the problem at its source.

When you send a dispute, there is a fixed amount of time before the CRA is required to respond.  I would reccomend looking at the resources in the Rebuilding Your Credit forum for information about that timeline and what your next steps are with getting those disputes properly considered and responded too.  It may be easier in the end just to deal with the reporting company though, so I would try that first.

Message 5 of 9
Hdcut18
Established Member

I will give it ago

Message 6 of 9
FocusedAndDetermined
Senior Contributor

Were these loans recently transferred to another lender?  If so, your next report should relfect a zero balance with the original lender and your current balance with the new one.  A few year back when my loans were transferred from Direct Loans to Mohela there was a lad in accurate reporting, but it was corrected without intervention on my part.

If they have not been transferred, then by all means, contact the lender to report the error.

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Hdcut18 wrote:
So the only thing holding me back is my Equifax, it really hasn't grown as much as tu and exp. I noticed that there double reporting some stuff mainly my student loan making look like I owe more than I do. Now I've tried online, phone and standard mail disputes. No dice. I Even used a credit repair company, again nothing. What should I do next before I get a lawyer? I'd hate to spend all that money just to a couple errors corrected. Thanks in advanced

This just happened to me. ACS/JP Morgan Chase has my student loan and they were reporting it twice on Equifax. The changed the way they use to report it. They originally reported with social security number and now they report with the actual account number. This resulted in duplicate tradelines making it look like you have more debt then you actually have. Anyway fast forward... I contacted ACS which is the collector of the loan for Chase and sent them a copy of my credit report showing the duplicate tradeline and a request for them to delete one of the tradelines. They took their time so I filed a complaint and it was taken care of in a week. This originally went on for over a month though. 

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Hdcut18 wrote:
The disputes are being ignored

Yes they will ignore it because I tried tried and tried. Contact the lender and send them a copy of the credit report. You can fax your request for them to remove the duplicate account. 

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.