cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extended Repayment - Graduate - 2 year and 4 year - help!

tag
schrute
Contributor

Re: Extended Repayment - Graduate - 2 year and 4 year - help!

If I pay now can I consolidate later? I'd like to pay it down but keep the 2.3% interest.

Message 21 of 25
laz98
Senior Contributor

@schrute wrote:

If I pay now can I consolidate later? I'd like to pay it down but keep the 2.3% interest.

Paying your loans down a bit has no effect on your ability to consolidate them later.  BUT, many people do lose their low interest rates when they consolidate, because if I'm not mistaken, they take the average of your APRs & that becomes your new APR for your consolidated loan.

Message 22 of 25
schrute
Contributor

How do you lose your APRs if you're locked in at a single number?

Message 23 of 25
laz98
Senior Contributor

@schrute wrote:

How do you lose your APRs if you're locked in at a single number?

Because they're not individual loans anymore once you consolidate; it's just one.  They're not going to just give you the lowest APR you had before.  Like I said, I may be  wrong, but I believe they take the average of whatever your APRs were before & that becomes your new APR.  If you are lucky enough to have all of your loans at the same APR, then I guess it wouldn't matter, but that's probably not the case for most people.  Smiley Happy

Message 24 of 25
kjel
Established Contributor

The consolidation APR is a weighted average of the APRs on your existing loans. I had a range of 3.4% to 6.8% before consolidation and ended up with 5.6% as my interested rate.

Current Score: TU: 674 | EQ: 722 | EX: 717 | Last Inq. 2/16/15...Locked Up in The Garden
NFCU Cash Rewards $14K | Chase Sapphire Preferred $5K | Amex Blue Cash Preferred $6K | Cap1 Quicksilver One Visa $9K

Message 25 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.