cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FedLoans Question

tag
Delta22

FedLoans Question

I have several, more like 9+ loans out for FedLoans for when I was in college.

I am currently on an income to base repayment plan, and as of right now I have to pay $0/month.  

Having so many seperate loans through them, is that damaging my credit score?  Should I consolidate them?

If I do consolidate my college loans, will I still be able to do the Income to base repayment plan?

Thanks, I've worked really hard to bring my credit back to good standings and keep everything clean.

Appreciate your knowledge for helping my out! 

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
SCF
Valued Contributor

Re: FedLoans Question

Your situation is very typical - because each loan disbursement is its own tradeline, many students graduate with a report that looks just like yours.  This does not damage your credit score, in fact, it can even help it over time, because those accounts will age together and provide a nice "anchor" if you will for your average age of accounts.  

Consolidating is a great idea if you want to be eligible for certain forgiveness programs, want all of your loans to be handled by one servicer for convenience, or if you've got a lot of small loans the minimum payments on all of those loans exceed the standard repayment for the consolidated loan.  If you do a federal consolidation loan, you don't lose any of the benefits you already have, like the IBR payment plan.

If all of your loans are with one servicer now, I wouldn't worry about consolidating.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.