Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Federal Student Loan Rehab - The Law and You .. please read

tag
FicoTron
Established Contributor

Re: Federal Student Loan Rehab - The Law and You .. please read

Just wanted to say that my rehabbed Direct Loan through The dept of Ed was updated to pays as agreed/never late, and they changed all my monthly bad marks to reflect on time payments.
EX-774 (Amex Fico) 8/12
EQ-725 (Fico) 1/12
TU-729 (Fico) 3/12
Message 11 of 17
SusieQ
Regular Contributor

I am agreement here regarding the definition of a defaulted loan and how it impacts the rehabilitated loan.    

I had a defaulted loan thru Sallie Mae which was rehabbed thru their guarantor and then resold to AES.    The loan has 2 entries on my credit report - 1 by Sallie Mae and 1 by AES.  Same loan, same start date, etc.

First, Sallie Mae never complied with the 30 day requirement:

(ii) The prior holder of the loan must, within 30 days of receiving the notification from the guaranty agency, request that any consumer reporting agency to which the default claim payment or other equivalent record was reported remove such record from the borrower's credit history.

They never updated the credit report until I brought it to their attention nearly a year later.   When they did  update, they only removed the word "default" from the remarks, but kept a 300 day default payment history (10 - 120 day notations 12/2009-9/2010) in the payment section, along with various notation in the remarks and status section such as debt being paid through insurance and transferred to another office.   This is not sufficient.  Keeping the delinquencies (IMO) is not complying with the spirit and intent of § 682.405.   Anyone looking at that history and comments knows the loan defaulted. 

Tired of fighting with them.  Today I filed a formal complaint with the US Ombudsman Group of the US Department of Education.   I will let you know what they say.

Message 12 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Any update? I'm in the exact same situation and would love to know what else I can do that will actually be effective!

Thanks!

Message 13 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've been working on cleaning up my credit for the past year and have made good progress.  I have shaken the tree and have the stuff left that I have to climb up and pluck off.  : )  One of those items is a defaulted student loan for 15,000 smackeroos that won't come off until April of 2018.  

I have on my list that the way it should be plucked is by rehabbing it, but after reading this I'm second guessing this.  What do you guys think - should I rehab this loan or just clean everything else up and let this die on the vine?

ok I'll stop with the tree.

Message 14 of 17
ah32
Frequent Contributor

I was given two options to get out from default. I took the long road and decided (based on the info given over the phone) that rehabbing over 9-10 payments was the way to go. I agree with Matt. If we aren't given a second chance, why wouldn't we take the first option of 4 payments? I don't remember the details of the 4 payment plan, but it didn't give us the option to clean up our credit. 

Message 15 of 17
SCF
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I've been working on cleaning up my credit for the past year and have made good progress.  I have shaken the tree and have the stuff left that I have to climb up and pluck off.  : )  One of those items is a defaulted student loan for 15,000 smackeroos that won't come off until April of 2018.  

I have on my list that the way it should be plucked is by rehabbing it, but after reading this I'm second guessing this.  What do you guys think - should I rehab this loan or just clean everything else up and let this die on the vine?

ok I'll stop with the tree.

The problem with just waiting for a federal student loan to fall off your credit report is that it can reappear at any time.  Although the original lates and defaulted tradeline will come off, every time it transfers to a different collection agency they can report the debt again.  The debt itself will also remain collectible until your death, which means that they can seize tax returns, garnish wages, and even a portion of your Social Security if the debt is still around at that point.  The real reason to rehab is so that you can pay back the debt and avoid those consequences - the benefits to your credit are really just a bonus.

Message 16 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

aha.  I didn't know they could just keep reposting it.  Thank you so much for the response.

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.