Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Federal student loan rehab started - TU down 103 points overnight

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Federal student loan rehab started - TU down 103 points overnight

Hello everyone,

I apologize if this has been answered already...

I received an alert this morning that my TU has dropped 103 points. I just started the federal student loan rehab process about 2 weeks ago and made my first payment.

The only info I could find is that the US Department of Education updated the details of my account. I have 9 federal loans and now there are 3 entries on my report for each loan. The original loans that were transferred to Mohela. The Mohela loans that were charged off. And now 9 more collection accounts since I started paying in the rehab program. Is this normal? Does my credit report now think I have 9 new charge offs?

This is killing me, I just spent 4 very long years rebuilding my credit (student loans are the final phase) and to see a score drop of this magnitude is very discouraging. As of 3-4 weeks ago I finally had a report w/ no collections or judgments.

I just received two Chase cards I've been working towards and I'm fearful they're going to close out my accounts now because of the drastic score change.
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Federal student loan rehab started - TU down 103 points overnight

OMG, the same exact thing happened to me!   I started the process last week and I received an alert that Us Dept of Ed had updated my report.  I don't know what it's done to my score yet, but I am really nervous just anticipating what's going to happen.  I know it's a necessary evil but I hate that it's happening after 2 years of working feverishly on my credit and being 2 points away from 700 , I feel like I am back to square one.  I hope someone chimes in.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am also in the same situation. I'm really hoping someone can help us figure this out. I am admittedly clueless when it comes to all of this, but I'm wondering if this is "normal" for the weird gray area we are in right now. 

A little more about my situation, if it is relevant or anyone is interested: I didn't have much help or guidance when applying for financial aid/student loans out of high school. I was under the impression that I didn't qualify for financial aid at all, thus prompting me to take out a student loan through Sallie Mae (Navient), which I have been in good standing with for nearly 5 years. After checking my credit score in more recent years, it turns out I did qualify for a very small amount of financial aid and did actually receive it, and it was showing as defaulted in my "closed accounts" section on my credit report. Surprisingly, I still had a pretty good credit score of 721, but obviously seeing the word DEFAULT on my report was disconcerting and I wanted to take care of it, so I contacted the collections agency and started my loan rehabilitation program.

So here I am now. I have made 4 out of the 9 payments of $25 to the U.S. Dept. of Education. I have checked my credit score religiously for the past year or so using my Creditwise app and nothing of significance had happened. I've increased credit lines to bump up my score up even more, I've leased a car and those payments have also helped my credit score, etc. Everything was going great. That is until I checked my score this morning. My score dropped 120 points! 

I had no new accounts opened, no missed or late payments, no new inquiries. Nothing. I then checked my "closed" accounts section again to find that my FEDLOAN is now shown as "120 days late" at $0 and now there is a US DEPT ED showing as "collection/chargeoff" with the balance that I am paying off through the rehab program. Again, I am clueless as to how this all works, and I could somewhat understand that if the account was "re-opened (?)" that balance would show again and count against me, but is this right? I am confused as to how having something in default seemingly did no damage to my credit, but now that I am making the effort to pay it off, I am in a worse situation. 

I have a million questions, but basically, is this normal? Is this just a weird limbo period we are in until the 9 payments are made? Should my credit report show both the 120 day late/defaulted loan and now the full balance as two separate accounts? Will my credit score return to normal after these remaining 5 payments are made? I'm just so confused as to why working to pay off this debt is actually hurting me instead of helping me. I know this isn't right, but with the way this is playing out, it seems to me that just ignoring that unpaid, defaulted debt was the better option. Why is it that making these payments is doing more harm than good? It seems a little unfair and a little backwards to me and I'm just hoping someone has an explanation for us. I have been working hard to get my credit score to where it is and have been looking to purchase a home soon, and this drop in my credit will make it IMPOSSIBLE to do that. This is extremely discouraging and terrifying. 

If anyone has been in this situation or can help us better understand what is going on, PLEASE let us know! Thank you!

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

BREAKING NEWS – THIS JUST IN

On June 1st, TransUnion has begun back loading (yes that’s right – back loading) old student loan data onto existing consumer credit reports. The data is coming from the US Department of Education so as you can guess it is most likely a huge data file! This data may be can positive data which could increase a consumer’s score, but it also may contain negative data which could lower a consumer’s score. This “new data” even though it may be old, can cause a credit monitoring alert that a new account has been added to your credit report even though the account may be old. It also may trigger an alert that says you have opened a “new” student loan account, but it’s really the result of TransUnion adding the “old” data onto the report.

Many Consumer’s many be caught off guard by the increase or decrease in their credit scores. Credit professionals NEED TO BE PREPARED for a surge in questions on this matter.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.