Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Federal vs state SL

tag
hopingsoon
Regular Contributor

Federal vs state SL

I thought I had a defaulted federal loan but I wasn't on myeddebt so I called to ask. I was told something about "guaranty agency at the state level". I don't know what this means. And what it might mean for my rehab?? Anyone??

Starting Score: FAKOs EQ 537 TU 497 EX 517
Current Score 7/11/13: FICOs EQ 650 TU 659 EX 655
Goal Score: 675 Who am I kidding? Goal Score: 750+ Smiley Happy

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
InvincibleSummer3
Established Contributor

Re: Federal vs state SL

Is this the rehab you just finished? Or a different student loan?

Message 2 of 7
hopingsoon
Regular Contributor

Sorry. For the rehab I just finished. I'm on pins and needles waiting to see this come out of default and that new bit of information threw me. I still don't know what the fed vs state details are but I called the default department of my SL servicer tonight and got confirmation that everything is on track for my rehab. I was told that it is just a matter of them pulling the account out of collections and mailing out the letter. I told the rep that I had done a lot of reading online and heard about people waiting awhile for their loans to get picked back up and he told me that this was only the case back when the ecomony crashed but not these days.

Message 3 of 7
InvincibleSummer3
Established Contributor

Exciting! I'll bet this means your loans have been picked up. Once mine weren't on the myeddebt website anymore, things went pretty quickly. Now the trick is seeing if you can find out who the new servicer is. Have you checked the NSLDS website? They might show the new servicer....although you will get a letter. It's just less fun to wait and see, you know? Smiley Tongue

Message 4 of 7
hopingsoon
Regular Contributor

@InvincibleSummer3 wrote:

Exciting! I'll bet this means your loans have been picked up. Once mine weren't on the myeddebt website anymore, things went pretty quickly. Now the trick is seeing if you can find out who the new servicer is. Have you checked the NSLDS website? They might show the new servicer....although you will get a letter. It's just less fun to wait and see, you know? Smiley Tongue

It is exciting! I didn't know about myeddebt until about a week ago, after I made my 9th payment. I checked the site and I wasn't on it. That's why I called them tonight and was super confused when the rep started talking about the state level. Either way I'm so glad I called my servicer. The rep explained that my account will most likely be sent to customer service. Meaning that I will stay with the same servicer just out of the default department. I've checked NSLDS and I'm still listed with the same servicer and it lists my 6th payment toward rehab but it hasn't updated to 9th or to rehab complete.

I am so grateful for this forum and for the opportunity to rehab. I just have to be patient now, which is so hard! I'm happy though.

Message 5 of 7
InvincibleSummer3
Established Contributor

I know exactly how you feel. I rehabbed 4 of my 5 student loans last year, and I paid my ninth rehab payment on my Perkins loan on the 15th of March. Waiting, waiting, waiting....and when you're this close to the end, it seems like time draaaaggggs.

At least there seems to be some movement, though. And if you're staying with the same servicer, that's kind of great. My biggest worry was that I wouldn't know where to continue the payments if they moved to a new lender and I didn't know who that was. I'll be with the same servicer for this Perkins loan too, I suspect. Fingers crossed that your reports get updated soon!

Message 6 of 7
kjel
Established Contributor

@InvincibleSummer3 wrote:

Ditto. Once mine were picked up myeddebt.com did not list the loans anymore and showed $0 where it previously showed a balance. The NSLDS did not show any updated change yet so I called NSLDS and they just told me to call my rehab servicer who already told me they were closed out and sold. They gave me the number to DoE Debt Management & Collections since they are the listed guarantor on NSLDS (click the little loan number icon and it will give you the detail) and they were able to tell me the loans were bought by Nelnet. I called Nelnet and they confirmed that they had just picked them up a few days earlier.

Current Score: TU: 674 | EQ: 722 | EX: 717 | Last Inq. 2/16/15...Locked Up in The Garden
NFCU Cash Rewards $14K | Chase Sapphire Preferred $5K | Amex Blue Cash Preferred $6K | Cap1 Quicksilver One Visa $9K

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.