Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Figuring Out Student Loans - Help!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Figuring Out Student Loans - Help!

The graduate school that I am attending is based out of an european country. The ONLY loan that I can get is through Sallie Mae, which will only cover tuition. My school is not signed up with any banks - therefore I cannot get any private loans (Ive already called any bank in the world). Any ideas for me to find loans to cover food, housing, etc, rather than taking out a personal loan? Anything helps!!!! Thank you for any suggestions!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
203bravo
Established Contributor

Re: Figuring Out Student Loans - Help!

Does the school have a fin aid office?  Have you discussed your situation with them directly?  Have you scoured all sources for scholar ships, grad assistant ships, etc?

Is this only school that offers that degree?  I would think that if you are choosing to go to a Euro school - because it's a great experience - then you should have considered the expenses associated with that decision.

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

There is a very nice shcolarhip that is offerred that I wrote an essay for and am waiting to learn what I will receive from it. Basically, the school was using Wachovia for living expenses, etc., but the bank just pulled out from working with the school. This is how this situation for me has arose. I mean the only thing I can think of is taking out a personal loan (my credit score is 800) and paying that off while Im in school with the Sallie Mae loan. I know its crazy; thats why Im searching for other ideas...

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Try getting a job and living like a student.  Avoid student loans, especially private loans.
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Could you set-up to attend the school with the help of a study abroad program http://academic.studyabroad.com/

Check out the website above for your country and then see if a program works with your school---I think you can take out a private student loan to cover cost of living as well through these programs...at least enough to get you a head start on your schooling and time to get a job. Good luck!

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you absolutely need loans, take out the MINIMUM that you need, not the maximum.  As a rule of thumb, try to keep your total loan amount to what you can realistically make your first year out of school.

Using loans for costs of living is like using a credit card to cover costs of living, except you'll probably have a lower interest rate, but you can't revolve a balance.

Current living costs should be covered with current income, not borrowed funds.

Try looking for employment, you don't need to repay a salary.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.