Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fixed or Variable APR when refinancing Studenl Loan through DCU's Campusdoor

tag
Girac
Regular Contributor

Fixed or Variable APR when refinancing Studenl Loan through DCU's Campusdoor

My current loan is with Navient at 6.626%. I applied throug DCU's campus door and was apprioved for 5%-6% fixed (5 year to 15 year terms) and 3.5 to 5% variable (5-15 year)

the 3.5% looks appealing but payments are about 2x as much as now, which I can swing. I dont want this payment to jump up in the coming years.

Or should I just stick with Navient and pay more to the principal which always seems to be a pain in the ass since they apply extra payment to the front of the loan.

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Simply827
Established Contributor

Re: Fixed or Variable APR when refinancing Studenl Loan through DCU's Campusdoor

What term are you thinking about taking on? While we can't predict the future, it's safe to assume that rates will continue to rise. We just had a rate hike at the beginning of the last two years. Interest rates have stayed at historic lows for many years, and it's unlikely for them to stay at such a low level. If you're planning on only taking on a 5 year term, then I'd say the variable rate may be an ok option. But if you're going for the 10 or 15, I'd go with the fixed rate. I'd definitely refinance, because it will save you money over what you're paying now.  

Starting Score: 515
Current Score: EQ08 711 EX08 731 TU08 735
Goal Score: 740+

Amex BCP $25k | Discover IT $15.7k | Cap 1 QS $10k | PSECU $10k | Citi DC $9300 | Citi DP $6800 | Barclay Ring $6500 | PayPal Extras MC $5045 | DCU $5000 | Chase Slate $5000 | Barclays AA $4100 | Chase Freedom $4000 | Union Plus $1000 | Target $500
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.