Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Forbearance

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Forbearance

A while back, I put in application for a discharge.When I didn't hear back, I got one of those "Brokey McBrokeass" applications to show that I'm on disability, food stamps, etc. and wanted to work out a nine-month plan to get my loans out of default. (How come nobody at the welfare office told me I could've applied for an economic hardship? and not damaged my credit? Bastards.) Last week, I got a letter back saying that they were sorry, but they couldn't put me on a nine-month plan because my request was still pending (squee!) and that in the meantime, my loans would be in forbearance. I sent a copy of the letter to all three bureaus. Is there any chance that my loans will go into positive status, at least for a while, or will they stay in the negative because they were in default before they went into forbearance?
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
LynnInMN
Frequent Contributor

Re: Forbearance

A while back, I put in application for a discharge.When I didn't hear back, I got one of those "Brokey McBrokeass" applications to show that I'm on disability, food stamps, etc. and wanted to work out a nine-month plan to get my loans out of default. (How come nobody at the welfare office told me I could've applied for an economic hardship? and not damaged my credit? Bastards.)

You cant blame the welfare offices....they have no training in student loans unless they have personally gone thru it.  It is not in the scope of their job.

Last week, I got a letter back saying that they were sorry, but they couldn't put me on a nine-month plan because my request was still pending (squee!) and that in the meantime, my loans would be in forbearance. I sent a copy of the letter to all three bureaus. Is there any chance that my loans will go into positive status, at least for a while, or will they stay in the negative because they were in default before they went into forbearance?

It wont have any affect on your bureaus.  They simply put you into an administrative forebearance until your disability case has been decided. You are still in default.  Keep in mind it is very difficult for qualify for disability discharge....the DOE's criteria for disability is much intensive than social security disability. Many conditions that qualify for SS disability do not qualify under the DOE's rules.
Ex-Financial Aid Officer

Ex-Student Loan Collector
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Forbearance

This isn't a disability discharge, which is why I'm surprised it's taking this long. I expected them to laugh me out of the system by now. I kind of wish they would so I can start a payment plan. Like you said, forbearance doesn't really *do* anything, although I suppose I could pay monthly in full if I had a money tree out back.
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Forbearance vs hardship ? Difference please?

When you co-sign can i the co signer ask for forebearance? and what is the difference from hardship? Can only the primary ask for forebearance ? If we pay the interest only during forbearance does the principle stay the same or do they add fees or whatever they like.?What about hadship interest ? Do they let you pay only the interest then ? I know its alot of Q's Sorry. spooky
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.