Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Forged Disbursement Check

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Forged Disbursement Check

Wonderin, I graciously thank you for your advice.  I am seeking an attorney, but just posting on this message board to raise questions and informing myself of the potential defenses the loan people may take against me has helped me tremendously.  I truly do feel like a more informed individual.  A quick update on the loans: it turns out that I will have to acquire power of attorney to obtain copies of the deposited checks into my father's account.  So, that's a bummer, but it's something that has to be done.  Peace.  
Message 21 of 25
LynnInMN
Frequent Contributor

Did you do a FAFSA each for financial aid?  Did you get federal aid?  If so, then you were sent an financial aid report commonly called a FAAN...Financial Aid Award Notification.  Some schools mail them, others do eFAANS with the link sent to your student account mail box.  This report lists your federal aid that you have accept and also lists all the federal calculations of cost of attendance and expected family contribution.
Ex-Financial Aid Officer

Ex-Student Loan Collector
Message 22 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Wonderin, I graciously thank you for your advice.  I am seeking an attorney, but just posting on this message board to raise questions and informing myself of the potential defenses the loan people may take against me has helped me tremendously.  I truly do feel like a more informed individual.  A quick update on the loans: it turns out that I will have to acquire power of attorney to obtain copies of the deposited checks into my father's account.  So, that's a bummer, but it's something that has to be done.  Peace.  

*WHEW*

Good!!! The thought of you dealing with all this without counsel really scares the crap out of me. With an atty, it'll be an uphill battle (since NO one will want to allow this to set a precedent and leave the door open to others in your situation) without an atty, can you say "Prometheus?" o_O

Power of atty? That must be because you're pre-lit. Once you've actually retained a lawyer, the banks, AES, etc, will have to furnish all info to you automatically (no PoA needed) via "discovery" or "demand for production."

If you want the info NOW just to be kept informed, fine. But I'd allow the atty to request all necessary documentation -- that's their job. And they should be able to follow-up and hound the respondents on anything you might have missed.

Just be VERY careful when you contact them. Obviously, you don't want to tip your hand (the less prepared they are, the better) nor do you want to give them any fuel or evidence against YOU. In fact, once you retain a lawyer, one of their "conditions" will be that you have no further contact with the opposing parties. And that is for the best.
Message 23 of 25
n2win
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
The law also recognizes an element of "trust" between family members. That is one of the reasons why family members cannot be forced to testify against members of their family in a court of law.

Ah, this is what I was looking for. 

Without going into too many details, as a naive, trusting daughter, this happened to me, also.

Smiley Sad

Thanks

Smiley Wink

Goal: acquire and use Credit Cards, scores in the 700's in 2009
05/04/08 FICOS: EQ = 626; TU = 636: EX = 623
06/21/09 FICOS: EQ = 692; TU = 729; EX = 731 (CCT FAKO)
10/03/11 FICO EQ = 722 (CCT EQ = 749)
Message 24 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

n2win, could you please share some light on how are attempting to recover from your situation?
Message 25 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.