Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Formerly unconsolidated student loans

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Formerly unconsolidated student loans

I kept my student loans (8 of them!) unconsolidated for many years, and unfortunately paid quite late a few times on them. Two years ago I consolidated them and have paid them on time faithfully--two years and seven months since my last late pay. Naturally, those late payments from when my loans were unsolidated show up as 24 late pays.

Do student loan lenders normally consider (or are they able) to wipe out these entries off of a person's credit report if asked?

My EQ score is 671, I'd like to get to at least 700, but I don't see much of a chance of improving it significantly as the student loan is my only line of credit, along with a CC that I use just to buy gas. I pay them both faithfully, but I'm afraid those late pays are going to vastly outweigh my on-time payments for many years to come.

Any advice?

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Formerly unconsolidated student loans

One of the things that will help the credit score is to pay extra on the loans every month.  Make sure the extra is applied to principle only!

Two years is generally the rule of thumb for "lates" not to have so much impact on your credit score.

Congratulations on almost three years of paying on time!! 

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.