Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gate Loans and Bankruptcy

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Gate Loans and Bankruptcy

Good Afternoon,

This is my first post, and I would very much appreciate any feedback or advice on my current situation. 

Needless to say, I went through a period of financial irresponsibility when I was younger, and now I am digging my way out of the hole.  I declared bankruptcy last year and just completed my rehab program for my consolidated federal student loans a couple of months ago.  I received a credit report last month after being denied employment, and was suprised to see "National Collegiate Trust" as one of my creditors.  A week later, I was getting collection calls from a company called ConServe, trying to collect on a student loan debt.  After requesting promissory notes and researching the situation, It turns out that I had Gate loans through AES, in addition to my federal loans, which defaulted back in September of 07.  AES then sold the defaulted private loans to First Marblehead, from whom I received no correspondence, at least to my knowledge.....these loans were then transferred to ConServe on June 24, 2010. 

The reason I was confused is because 6/24/10 is coincidentally the same exact day that my federal student loans (that I had successfully rehabbed) were picked up by another lender, who I am current with.  I thought that some lines got crossed, but I found out today, much to my surprise, that these loans are real and need to be paid. 

I called First Marblehead, and the man I spoke to was not very accomodating at all....he said that I either need to deal with the collections or call AES for a review.  When I called AES for a review, the supervisor said that they have thorough records of letters and phone calls made to collect this debt which went unanswered, and that the loan defaulted properly.  I don't deny it, that was a tough period where I was getting bombarded by multiple collections at once, and they were hard to keep track of.  However, I did not get any correspondence from First Marblehead EVER, and I always kept my address information current with AES, and always submitted the proper change of address forms to the post office so bills would be forwarded.  

Bottom line is, the collectors are calling about $30k in debt, and mentioned that they would accept $18k. 

My question is, what do I do now?  Is there any way that I can reopen my bankruptcy case and have these loans erased since they are "private" and not federal?  If not, what do you think the minimum offer they would accept is?  I have some money, but not $18k ... what do you think they would accept as a bottom line to settle and get these marks off my credit? 

Sorry for the lengthy post, but it is a complicated situation....thanks for any feedback. 

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
hodap2001
Established Member

Re: Gate Loans and Bankruptcy

I would recommend, contacting your Bankruptcy Attorney regarding the Private Student Loan.

I wish I could give you some type of guidance; however, my expertise is with Federal Student Loans and not private loans which are regulated differently.

Good luck to you!

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.