cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Goodwill discussion with Student Loan companies TOGETHER!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Goodwill discussion with Student Loan companies TOGETHER!

Hi,

It's 2015, I think it's time to formally engage these student loan companies such as ACS, Mohela and others as a group/crowd in a meaningful way where they take this issue seriously of helping students improve their credit score. I urge someone reading this to take the lead on this initiative and find a way to coordinate all those that are dealing with this issue. This is an idea but we need a group/leaders who feel really passionate about solving this goodwill forgiveness issue. As a group, we can file a petition/make noise/email and call them simultaneously/get some press/reach out to the Dept of Education to put pressure- something bigger than what 1 person can do emailing and calling them about their own personal request that is easy to reject. 

Problem: Reading these forums I don't see any recent success 2013-2015 of getting late payments or other things removed from their Loans with Mohela, ACS and others to improve their credit score. Speaking to ACS, Mohela they have received many requests for good will favors and have made an internal guideline policy of not doing these favors. They are fully aware of the issue and just don't want to budge even though they know they can do it without consequence. I find it hard to believe that if each one of us randomly emails/calls/mails or faxes them - that policy will change.  I appreciate that these companies gave me a loan when I was student and I did repay 90% it so I would love to move forward with the small late payment mistake I made when I first started. But student debt is above 1 trillion dollars, these companies are making alot on the interest rate of those loans, most graduated students are underemployed. It's only fair to ask these student loan companies to help us improve our credit score in a formal process that can allow us to have a normal life. I think it's unfair, wrong and confusing that their is no formal process or proper way to get them to remove this and wait 7 years. I think the Dept of Education should be involved in helping this issue. 

I see an opportunity where we all could reach out to them together and/or simultaneously/ publicly reach out to their CEO/Executive Directors and make them understand the critical issue here and find a resolution. It's a bit of stretch but we have all seen these types of problems be solved by a group of people that make an issue and get the companies to change their policy. In the end they and us can look accomplishing this.

Please tell me what you think- and I hope a leader emerges who can carry this group to solve this problem

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
SCF
Valued Contributor

Re: Goodwill discussion with Student Loan companies TOGETHER!

Honestly, I think the best thing to do if you're concerned is reach out to your congresspeople.  They write the laws that can standardize things like this for all federal borrowers - and I do find it pretty ridiculous that some people get a complete wipe of their negative information with a rehab while others find that all of their lates stick around for the full 7 years.  They recently took some good steps to standardize the rehab process, so I think there's hope.

I also don't think that a blanket policy of removing negative marks on student loan accounts when requested would be beneficial for anyone.  Why should someone who did make mistakes have the same credit score as someone who did not?  There's some arguments to be made about whether 7 years is a fair time period, but again, that's probably better addressed through a rule that applies a new standard fairly to all kinds of debt.

Just me two cents though.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.