Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gov reducing from 9 student loan servicers to 1

tag
kimbersleep
Contributor

Gov reducing from 9 student loan servicers to 1

Just saw an article this morning stating that the Dept of Ed under the current administration wants to reduce from 9 companies that service student loans down to 1. The previous administration wanted to reduce from 9 servicers to 4. The final servicer hasn't been determined yet.

http://www.wcnc.com/mb/ext/news/nation-now/what-student-loan-borrowers-can-expect-in-trump-s-change-...

04/20/17 - Fico Score 8: EQ 695, TU 689, EX 728; Mortgage: EQ 731, TU 740, EX 815 [Starting Point on MyFico]
05/09/18 - Fico Score 8: EQ 827, TU 821, EX 811; Mortgage: EQ 815, TU 795, EX 822 [Latest MyFico 3B]
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Gov reducing from 9 student loan servicers to 1

I read its Navient. The one with the most complaints. ugh. 

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

My loans were just transferred to Navient after coming out of default and in my one attempt to contact them, I am already not happy!  Can't even talk to them on the phone due to "high call volume".  My only option is to schedule a call back (three hours later), couldn't even wait on hold for a representative...  Not to mention just getting to that option was an ordeal!  Sigh...

Message 3 of 9
stellar
Established Contributor

Thanks for posting this. 

So it looks like only 4 are bidding, 2 of those are bidding as one.  Bidding is within the next few months.  And then the new servicer will be up and running within 18 months.

I have Great Lakes and have been happy with them.  Hopefully they win.  

If not, I may just pay my small loan off to avoid the possibility of them adding another account to my report or screwing up the reporting.

Message 4 of 9
kimbersleep
Contributor

@stellar wrote:

Thanks for posting this. 

So it looks like only 4 are bidding, 2 of those are bidding as one.  Bidding is within the next few months.  And then the new servicer will be up and running within 18 months.

I have Great Lakes and have been happy with them.  Hopefully they win.  

If not, I may just pay my small loan off to avoid the possibility of them adding another account to my report or screwing up the reporting.

Yes, Stellar, I saw the same thing as you -- that the final servicer hasn't been decided yet. Upthread someone said it was Navient but I can't find that info corroborated anywhere.

I just had a transfer from Mohela, who I was very happy with, to FedLoan. It went smoothly, even if it seemed to take longer than I'd have liked. No real opinion yet of FedLoan.

While consolidating to 4 servicers from 9, which is what the Obama administration wanted to do, seems OK to me as it keeps competition alive -- consolidating to just one servicer worries me. Where is the incentive to provide excellent service to borrowers if there are no competitors? I might talk to my representative in the U.S. House about the issue. Even if Congress doesn't have a say in the workings of the Dept of Ed, she might be willing to make a public statement of concern on behalf of borrowers.

04/20/17 - Fico Score 8: EQ 695, TU 689, EX 728; Mortgage: EQ 731, TU 740, EX 815 [Starting Point on MyFico]
05/09/18 - Fico Score 8: EQ 827, TU 821, EX 811; Mortgage: EQ 815, TU 795, EX 822 [Latest MyFico 3B]
Message 5 of 9
stellar
Established Contributor

quote kimbersleep:

While consolidating to 4 servicers from 9, which is what the Obama administration wanted to do, seems OK to me as it keeps competition alive -- consolidating to just one servicer worries me. Where is the incentive to provide excellent service to borrowers if there are no competitors?

I completely agree.  It may be easier for the gvmt to manage, but may not be better for us as consumers.

Message 6 of 9
stellar
Established Contributor

Message 7 of 9
LindysMom
Regular Contributor

FedLoan holds my federal loans. Navient holds my private.

Literally any thought of Navient holding all of my loans makes me sick to my stomach.

My FICO Scores:
9/17: EQ - 542 / TU - 535 / EX - 506 // Mortgage: 553, 545, 486
10/ 17: EQ - 558 / TU - 563 / EX - 586 // Mortgage: 554, 568, 536
11/17: EQ - 630 / TU - 589 / EX - 614 // Mortgage: 606, 606, 572
12/17: EQ - 630 / TU - 624 / EX - 619 // Mortgage: 584, 612, 671

9/18: EQ - 676 / TU - 676 / EX - 643 // Mortgage: 652, 628, 606

Journey Milestones: Completed Federal Student Loan Rehab in Sept 2017. Settled First Premier Bank CC in August 2017. Constant uphill battle with Navient incorrect reporting on seven (7!) private student loans. No TLs listed in delinquency. Obsessively keeping 2 CC UTI @ 7-9% monthly.

End Goal: Pre-Approval for FHA Spring/Summer 2018 (COMPLETED)
New End Goal: 700+ Spring 2019
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@LindysMom wrote:

FedLoan holds my federal loans. Navient holds my private.

Literally any thought of Navient holding all of my loans makes me sick to my stomach.

Basically!

I have FedLoan for my fed loans that are eligible for Public Service Forgiveness and UHEAA for the ones that aren't.  I don't like the idea of only one company holding all of the country's federal student loans.  That's too big brother like for my taste. 

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.