Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graduate School - Go Figure!

tag
laz98
Senior Contributor

Re: Graduate School - Go Figure!

@kittylover wrote:

The only federal aid available for grad school is student loans. From your loan amount, you should still be able to take out some loans. Is this a master's or doctoral program you're considering? This will affect options as well. Are you shooting for an academic career? If you can post a few more details, I bet we can give you some advice.

hi kittylover!  thank you for your polite response.

i'm wanting to start my master's in linguistics in the fall.  shooting for a gov't job doing translation work.  been out of the workforce for a long time so i'm trying to get myself as prepared to head back & be successful as i can.

Message 11 of 13
kittylover

There may be more financial aid out there than you think. We have a few things in common so I'll tell you some of the ways I financed by graduate education. First of all, my education actually involved several different schools between reentry and doctorate so don't necessarily expect that all these option are available at every school. Some things to check out;

1. Off-beat scholarship opportunities: If you can find a concerned, creative financial aid officer, it will help. If not, try to find some of these yourself. In particular, sounds like you should look for those aimed at women returning to school or reentry scholarships in general. I received several of these including one from Clarol (must be over 35, some gray in hair), Orville Redenbacher (over 30?, returning to school to prepare for a new career). I also received a license plate scholarship from the state. None of these were very big, but they all helped with book expenses.

2. It's a good idea to let your (prospective) department--as well as the university--know that you're looking for aid. If the MA is a terminal degree for their dept., they may have assistantships, etc. you can apply for. They may also know about some of the "hidden opportunities" I'll mention next.

3. There may be opportunities for financial assistance that won't be obvious until you are already enrolled in the program. For example, individual profs may have positions translating, working on a journal, working on archives of original documents, etc. . I occasionally hire a grad student for a few hours a week to help out with research. Some profs at large schools may hold chairs that allow them to hire one or more assistants. See what I mean? Sometimes you just have to take a leap of faith!

4. There may be opportunities for employment around the university. You need flexibility if you're going to work and these jobs will have it. University employment lines are good, but they don't always list things like jobs in the tutoring center since they frequently require approval from the various departments. You may not usually think of some of the jobs at a university, but if it works for you, go for it. The young man who cleans my office was in my class last semester. He first got a job as a janitor here, then took advantage of the free tuition for employees. He planned it that way from the start since he knew he couldn't afford private school tuition.

Here are a few idea; hope they help. Feel free to ask me any questions you like and I'll try to respond. If you have different circumstances than I have assumed, post so we can give you better info. Good luck!

Message 12 of 13
laz98
Senior Contributor

hi kittylover, thanks again!

i think my best chances are getting together with the financial aid office, as you recommended, & keeping in touch with the "career center" at my school.  my main roadblock is that my department is very small, so there isn't much funding there.  we're known for our engineering programs, not our liberal arts majors Smiley Very Happy  yes, the MA is the terminal degree for this program.  i decided much too late that i wanted to go on to graduate school, so i missed the deadlines for a lot of better schools.

my other problem is that i won't be going full-time, which makes me ineligible for TA positions & other work-study spots.  really sucks, but those are the rules!  Smiley Happy

again, thank you so much for your kind help.  i really appreciate it!  making this decision has been pretty overwhelming.

Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.