Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Great Lakes Goodwill success!!!!!!!!!!!

tag
uktaurusbulba
Contributor

Great Lakes Goodwill success!!!!!!!!!!!

I had 2 90 day and a 120 day late from November 07 until January 08. I wrote Great Lakes a goodwill and explained that I had filed for economic hardship but may have sent it to the wrong address. Someone called me yesterday and has me set up so I can file for that hardship retroactive to the time of my lates, which will thus negate those lates. I am pretty psyched because this is the hardest one of my lates to remove. I could see a bump of 30 points or so.
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Great Lakes Goodwill success!!!!!!!!!!!

that's awesome! Congrats!
Message 2 of 7
uktaurusbulba
Contributor

Well, I still have to fill out the paperwork and get the ball rolling but the lady told me all lates should be removed off my score. Should be a nice boost and a big moral boost for me too. I know student loan lates are the toughest to have removed.
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's really great, congratulations!

Great Lakes has always been REALLLLY good to us, as DH has loans with them.  We made payments for a while, then he got laid off so we had to stop...that happened more than once, actually and we used up every bit of the forbearance time, etc. 

Last week, I had my very first victory in my credit repair journey and it was Great Lakes!  They were willing to start with small payments for the first few and then work into full payments (which, in reality, are still small payments, as the loans aren't very much, anyway).

Gives ya the warm fuzzies almost when a creditor is decent to you, doesn't it?  Smiley Very Happy
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can I ask who you wrote to?  I also have school loans through them and I would like to GW because we also fell on hard times and am hoping to get some lates deleted.
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Really?  That is AWESOME! I've been contacting NelNet student loans to get some lates removed due to a financial hardship and NO LUCK.  Do you have a letter template that I might be able to start a new goodwill letter to them with? (Inserting my own story, etc)...I have tried everything with them and am SOOOO frustrated.

Thanks!

Message Edited by llecs on 06-17-2009 11:23 PM
Message 6 of 7
army88m
Established Member

I know this is an older post, but I felt I should post in this thread.

All,

I was a manager at walmart, making good money for being 21 and just out of college. One night at work felt like I was having a heart attack, my heart rate was over 140 beats per minute and I fainted several times. Needless to say, I have been struggling health wise ever since. Doctors say not a heart attack and I am perfectly healthy, just cannot find out why my tachycardia happens. It's exhausting and I cannot hold a steady job due to it. I don't want to file for Social Security, etc. I will get better once I find a doctor that can help.

However, this is about Great Lakes Student Loans.  Given the info above, you can see I needed a forebearance/ deferment. I called in and spoke with a very nice lady, she just didn't speak or understand english all that well. She was Indian I am assuming by her accent. She helped me file for the forebearance and informed me of an e-mail I would get informing me I would have to file again in 6 months if need be. If I didn't re-apply, my account would become active and I would resume payment. Earlier this month I received a peice of mail stating I was behind almost $300 in payments. My payment was only $92 so it meant that for 3 months my acount had been active. I filed in August why all of the sudden did I get a bill on Dec. 29th? This was because the rep didn't understand english enough to realy I need to fill out a paper and mail it back. I never was mailed a paper, they say it was e-mailed. However, it was NOT!!! So, my credit reports now reflect a 90 days late.and my scores dropped 74 points on my Transunion and 52 on my Equifax.

I called GL and spoke to an American sounding woman that thank G-D understood me and apologized for the entire scenario.  She had me log into my GL account and sign up for the forebearance and was just great. The other lady was kind and not rude, just didn't know enough english I guess.  LoL Anyhow, it has been a month now and they haven't  removed the derogatory info from my reports. So, I e-mailed the credit department and went through the whole thing with them. I received an e-mail not even 4 hours later stating the credit agencies were informed to remove the 90 days late and update to pays as agreed. Let's see how long this takes.

They say they tried mailing me and this MAY be true as I live in the country and several other peices of my mail had been stolen that were credit related as well. I think it's just neighbor kids being rotten etc. However, I now have a PO Box as I do NOT want to ever experience this AGAIN with any creditor. It's not likI am looking for new credit as I already own a car and my home outright, but the derogatory info I felt had to go. Thank G-D that Great Lakes has been a fairly upstanding company IMO. Just as any creditor, if you don't pay they don't play ppl. DO NOT IGNORE THEM, they are willing to work with you.

G-D bless

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.