Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grrrrr.....(taxes related)

tag
IrishUpstart
Established Member

Grrrrr.....(taxes related)

I filed for a tax extension this year in April as I had a student loan that defaulted in the middle of the rehabilitation process. That was completed and have made post-rehab payments on time. As such I felt it was safe to file my taxes. Just checked my state refund status and it says that all of refund went to the department of education. Checked myfedloan and balance is the same so far. I dunno what's going on.

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
SCF
Valued Contributor

Re: Grrrrr.....(taxes related)

Once your loans are out of default, the agency with the offset has to submit an order to remove you from the offset list.  It sounds like that order hasn't been fully processed yet.  I'm sure that the money will make its way to your loan balance, but I wouldn't be surprised if it took a few weeks for the payment to be applied since you're dealing with a couple different agencies transferring money.

The IRS has a 1-800 number that you can call to check your offset status, I don't know it, but I believe it can be found on their website.  That number should give you a contact for the off-setting agency, and you can get in touch with them to see if there was a delay or error in processing the removal of the offset.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.