cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP!!! Sallie Mae reporting incorrect payment amount!

tag
DrMac210
Regular Contributor

HELP!!! Sallie Mae reporting incorrect payment amount!

I am in the IBR program with Sallie Mae and have a $0 payment currently.

HOWEVER, my re-enrollment period was in March.  I sent the papers in on time and received an e-mail that they were recieved but Sallie Mae was backed up so it was going to be a delay in their processing.  In the mean time, the March statement came from SM and it took my payment from $0 to $2000+ (since the IBR was delayed in processing).

I finally got ahold of someone that could fix the problem in April, the IBR was processed and there were two statements that came in April, one showed payment of $0 due 4/22. the other shows payment of $0 due on 5/22.

Here is the problem, Sallie Mae has NEVER corrected the amount due per month reporting to the CRA's.  They still show a payment due every month of $2000+/mo that is wrecking my DTI and any ability to get new credit.

What is the fastest way to get SM to update their reporting of the $0 since what they are currently reporting is obviously incorrect??

Starting Score: EQ 641, TU ???, EX ??? (myfico 6/7/13)
Current Score: EQ 760, TU 740, EX 750 (myfico July 2015)
Goal Score: 800 across the board

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Rikku
Regular Contributor

Re: HELP!!! Sallie Mae reporting incorrect payment amount!

I would call Sallie Mae and ask to speak to someone from their credit reporting department (they may call it something different). Then explain the problem and ask them to correct it. It is reasonable to expect the change to take about 30 days, but it might be faster depending on what day of the month they report your loan to the CRAs.

Message 2 of 4
DrMac210
Regular Contributor

@Rikku wrote:

I would call Sallie Mae and ask to speak to someone from their credit reporting department (they may call it something different). Then explain the problem and ask them to correct it. It is reasonable to expect the change to take about 30 days, but it might be faster depending on what day of the month they report your loan to the CRAs.

Tried this and could never get through to someone who could understand what I was trying to get changed.  It might help if there customer service wasn't outsourced to a foreign country.

After over an HOUR on the phone, the best I could get from them was that "it could possibly be corrected by the end of the week, if not call back again"......... Smiley Mad

Starting Score: EQ 641, TU ???, EX ??? (myfico 6/7/13)
Current Score: EQ 760, TU 740, EX 750 (myfico July 2015)
Goal Score: 800 across the board

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 4
Rikku
Regular Contributor

@DrMac210 wrote:

@Rikku wrote:

Tried this and could never get through to someone who could understand what I was trying to get changed.  It might help if there customer service wasn't outsourced to a foreign country.

After over an HOUR on the phone, the best I could get from them was that "it could possibly be corrected by the end of the week, if not call back again"......... Smiley Mad

That's annoying. Did you keep asking to speak to each person's superviser?

When did Sallie Mae outsource their customer service? Just recently? I don't call them often, but I've never spoken to someone outside the US and they've always been very helpful.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.