Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hard inq on EQ that I don't recognize

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hard inq on EQ that I don't recognize

I just checked my credit score and found I have a hard inq on EQ on 7/17/21010 from AFSA.  I have never dealt with AFSA and don't recall ever authorizing any hard inquiries recently.  I did complete a FAFSA to apply for loans for this coming school year, and I received information saying I was approved for the Grad PLUS loan.  Sorry I don't have specifics, but something I was sent led me to wonder if my credit had been pulled.  Has anyone ever received a hard pull when applying through the FAFSA?  And does completing a FAFSA give authorization for hard pulls?

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
laz98
Senior Contributor

Re: Hard inq on EQ that I don't recognize

i have definitely not ever had a hard pull from filling out a FAFSA.  is AFSA who is holding your student loan?

Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

No, I don't even know what AFSA is.  Right now I only have a federal Health Professions Loan and both subsidized and unsubsidized Stafford loans.  My school is a Direct Federal Lender.  In the past, I was offered a Grad PLUS loan but I didn't like the terms, so I declined that one.  This time around, after I completed the FAFSA I received mail that said something like "Congratulations, you qualify for a Grad PLUS loan, blah blah blah."  Then when it came time for me to accept or decline my awards, the Grad PLUS loan was automatically accepted for the full amount.  I had a financial aid officer remove that automatic acceptance so I could then decline the Grad PLUS award.  I did nothing different this time around when completing the FAFSA.  I guess I'm assuming that this weird hard inq is due to my FAFSA application, but frankly I have no idea what AFSA is so it could be a completely different issue.  Any thoughts/recommendations?  Thanks.

Message 3 of 11
laz98
Senior Contributor

did you look up AFSA at all???  i found a bunch of random things, but i came across american financial services association as well.

your credit report should have contact information for them, at least a phone number.  call & ask them who they are, & that you want paperwork.

Message 4 of 11
hodap2001
Established Member

AFSA is Xerox Corporation (formerly ACS). The Graduate Plus loan is based upon your credit; therefore, a credit check would've been required for you to accept the Graduate Plus loan, even if you declined. Your Financial Aid office would've told you this.

Message 5 of 11
laz98
Senior Contributor

@hodap2001 wrote:

AFSA is Xerox Corporation (formerly ACS). The Graduate Plus loan is based upon your credit; therefore, a credit check would've been required for you to accept the Graduate Plus loan, even if you declined. Your Financial Aid office would've told you this.

formerly ACS???  as in ACS is no more?  i ask because we have a loan thru them, & i haven't received anything stating they are changing their name, or selling my loan, etc.

Message 6 of 11
hodap2001
Established Member

Correct, the organization is still servicing existing Federal Student Loans; however, they are currently undergoing name change and re-branding. The link is the article about Xerox buying ACS for 6.4 Billion Dollars.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1001_3-10362542-92.html

Cheers.

Message 7 of 11
laz98
Senior Contributor

Rats!  Just when I get used to one company......I better hurry & pay that one off then!  LOL.  Thanks for that link!  Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 11
Tazman81
Established Contributor

@laz98 wrote:

Rats!  Just when I get used to one company......I better hurry & pay that one off then!  LOL.  Thanks for that link!  Smiley Happy

Isn't that the truth.  It annoys me when a company acquires another and they some how "misplace" your payments.  Better to get them paid off sooner rather than later.  Smiley Indifferent

Current Score: Eq: 823 Tu: 830
Goal Score: Eq: 850 Tu: 850

Wallet: PenFed Power Cash 50k | AMEX Blue Cash (AU) 49.5k | Cap One QSMC 26.5k | AMEX Platinum NPSL | USAA Signature Visa 25k
Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

You should have an inquiry if you applied for a PLUS loan as the product is a credit-based product unlike the subsidized and unsubsidized Stafford’s.   I took out one PLUS loan last year is why I know this.  Also what is interesting is that I have four inquiries from Direct Loan Servicing for student loans this semester.  That program is not credit based, so I am disputing those inquiries.  The lady with whom I spoke said they pull one’s credit to ensure proper placement of the account on the person’s credit file. 

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.