cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Have any of you gone to grad school, then quit, but pay for loans now?

tag
smoothjk
Contributor

Have any of you gone to grad school, then quit, but pay for loans now?

I went to law school for a couple of years, decided there was no way I wanted to do that for my life, and dropped out. Instead, I wanted to go into journalism, which would be far less lucrative, but more personally fulfilling.

Of course, they don't give you your money back if you drop out, and I'm just wondering if anyone else is paying for something useless like this. It definitely is kind of depressing when I think about how much I pay on something I will never use again.

By any chance, is there some kind of forgiveness program or something for people like me? It sure is a lot of money to pay ... a very, very costly mistake to say the least.
FICO (06/17/08): TU 691 - EQ 642 - EX 638 - Util 64%
FICO (07/23/08): TU 698 - EQ 653 - EX 644 - Util 50%
FICO (02/04/09): TU 694 - EQ 668 - EX 654 - Util 43%
FICO (05/18/09): TU 687 - EQ 675 - EX n/a - Util 39%
FICO (03/09/10): TU 666 - EQ: 691 - EX 644 - Util 54%
IDGuard (2/8/12): TU 690 - EQ: 710 - EX 710 - Util 72%
FICO (03/13/12): EQ: 696 (87% revolving to limits)
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Have any of you gone to grad school, then quit, but pay for loans now?

Nope, they figure your choice, your dime. Most people in prof school will end up finidhing their program and finding an alternative career with to pay off the loans, such as pharmaceuticals. Or they suck it up for a couple of years in corporate law.
Message 2 of 10
anca21bi
Frequent Contributor

Maybe you should go into teaching journalism in a low-income school district, I believe they pay up to $17,500 in student loan forgiveness.
Message 3 of 10
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

why the heck should a loan be forgiven because the student drops out?

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

What kind of grade did you make in Contracts?
Message 5 of 10
LynnInMN
Frequent Contributor

Contracts is a standard first year course......must have slept thru it.  (But then again, so did I....8am on a friday morning was not a good time to schedule contract law!)
Ex-Financial Aid Officer

Ex-Student Loan Collector
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just a friendly reminder that we should all remember to respectful and friendly to each other.

Thanks for understanding!

-sidewinder
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@LynnInMN wrote:
Contracts is a standard first year course......must have slept thru it.  (But then again, so did I....8am on a friday morning was not a good time to schedule contract law!)

Actually, Ks teaching nothing substantive about real world contract law. But I digress.

OP, I also dropped out of law school for various reasons. I went to a good tier 1 law school which costs in excess of $30K/year. After my first semester, I found myself ranking just barely above median. At that point, I decided to leave law school, since finding a job that will pay for $100K in law school debt is nearly impossible if one is not ranked in the top 1/3 (or so) of the class. My decision was based solely on a cost-benefit analysis. Spending the next 10-30 years in severe debt just didn't justify the education. Perhaps in a couple of years, I'll give it a shot at a much cheaper school.

Anyway, I currently pay on one semester's worth of loans, although they should be paid off by the end of this year, give or take a month. There is no loan forgiveness program for those who drop out of school. They have to be repaid just as if you graduated.

I wish you luck in the future, as it takes a brave person to change course in midstream to do something you like.

(As a side note, many laypeople out there don't realize just how little money there is in the law. Upon graduating law school, the average salary is around 40-50K/year with roughly $90K in law school debt. Contrary to popular belief, only a very small percent of law school grads are able to get those coveted "corporate law" jobs which pay $165K/year starting. If you are considering law school and cannot get into a top 10 law school, you are better off not going unless you get a substantial scholarship.)

Message Edited by Wesley23 on 08-24-2008 07:41 PM
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

You aren't alone! I had 3 years of grad school (biochemical sciences) and made the choice to "drop out" due to my brother getting hurt in an accident (he needs 24 hour care and my parents couldn't do it alone) Because of that my $63,000 worth of student loans went into default. I ended up getting a flexible (but low paying) job and a cheap apartment near my parents house so I could help them out.  Anyways I still have to pay back all those student loans eventhough I haven't finished my degree (someday I will go back). I worked out a payment plan with the federal loan company, and they were extremely helpful and willing to work with whatever I could afford to pay down.

I know how you feel Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I took ONE graduate course and less than a week of a second through University of Phoenix and I feel like I am contacted about a different loan through them every month!  I paid of one through their own creditor, Southwest Student Services, and I thought that was it.  Nope!  I went to a very expensive, private school for undergrad and I can't believe how much I owe because of Phx when I compare it to 4.5 years of undergrad. 

A VERY costly mistake for a course that was nothing but a waste of time and full of really stupid people...  I know how you feel!  

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.