Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help!! Confused on defaulted student loans and rehab...Direct and Navient

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Help!! Confused on defaulted student loans and rehab...Direct and Navient

Back in 2012 I defaulted on 4 Direct Loans(total of 8 missed payments each). At one point they were even garnishing my wages. Somewhere down the line my direct loans were transferred to Navient and I rehabilitated those same exact loans and now I'm current on them. My question is, How do I remove the late payments from Direct Loans? They student loans show up twice on my CR as current and late. What should I do? 

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
SCF
Valued Contributor

Re: Help!! Confused on defaulted student loans and rehab...Direct and Navient

It sounds like this may be correct reporting.  Unfortunately, the original lender is not required to remove the lates that led up to the default when you complete your rehab.  They are only required to update the status of the loan and remove and remarks or status that relates to the default.  So the original tradeline should show a $0 balance, and any remarks like "default" or "loan assigned to gov't" should be removed and replaced with something like "paid in full" or "closed."

You can try goodwill letters to the original lender to ask them to remove the lates as well though.

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Help!! Confused on defaulted student loans and rehab...Direct and Navient

I signed up for CreditCheckTotal today and when I checked my TU and EX report they weren't there at all. When I checked EQ they were still listed. Do you think they could have been deleted? Credit Karma still shows on all 3 reports. 

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.