Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help!?!?!!? Multiple TL's for Student loans

tag
newmom24
Regular Contributor

Help!?!?!!? Multiple TL's for Student loans

I have 27 different accounts being reported by Sallie Mae and the Department of Ed. Each with multiple deragatory marks with 30-90 day lates over a span of 5 years. I thought I was in deferrment (and wasn't). How can I consolidate these into 1 ... maybe 2 loans that way I don't have multiple lates hitting my score. Can someone provide advice on how to move forward?

Starting Score: 474
Current Score: 583
Goal Score: 650

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
SCF
Valued Contributor

Re: Help!?!?!!? Multiple TL's for Student loans

Consolidating your loans won't change your past credit history, it will just open new tradelines for the consolidation (it might just be one, or possibly more than one if you have different types of loans).  Consolidation can reduce your monthly payment, and make it easier to pay and keep track of your loans, but it doesn't really impact your credit.

If the lates are accurate, you could try writing goodwill letters to the lender and see if they will adjust any of the reporting based on your situation.

Message 2 of 3
e35
Regular Contributor

Re: Help!?!?!!? Multiple TL's for Student loans

Are there any errors you see? If there are errors the loan company will fix it; due to it being their fault.

I had Nelnet remove 10 tradelines; due to the fact the had me in a grace period while I was attending school.

Salliemae  remove all my lates. All I did was sent a letter to them.

Starting FICO scores EX- 422 Feb/2013

NEW 12/13/13 FICO scores
Ex- 638, EQ- 658, TU- 646

Almost there Goal 660 across the board
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.