cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help! Pay additional on a garnishment or go for the rehab?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Help! Pay additional on a garnishment or go for the rehab?

Hi!  I'm new here and after lurking here and reading through some great information, I am seeking some feedback!

After years and years of bad credit habits (and a divorce), I am finally serious about cleaning up my credit.  I have changed careers and love the change ( I needed it).  During the stressful time, I let my student loan go into default and soon my wages were being garnished after a year of employment.  I paid of NYS loan in less than a year.  It was around $4000.  My taxes were also taken and applied to this debt. 
Since  then I have learned that I don't have to file taxes if I don't owe the IRS any money.  I have staggered out my filings.  To make a long story short:  I was sent a letter from US Dept of Ed stating that I was able to make voluntary payments and that I needed to call them.  The US Dept of Ed had been garnishing my wages for some time.  The amount they take seems to be a percentage that adjusts as my income adjusts (due to overtime, etc).  I took the bait and called them.  Needless to say I was redirected to the collection agency.  The collection agency told me this is what I needed to do in order to rehab my loan and get out of default status:
pay $900 up front, when I told them I could not do that, they said $450  that they wanted my checking account information to assure them that I was serious about paying.  After that, I would have to make payments of $98 dollars a month for 10 months on top of the garnishment. After 10 months, my loan would be rehabbed and I would continue paying the $98 per month until it's paid off.

This all sounded like they wanted me to pay their fees, even though they said they would waive them.  I am not too keen on giving them my checking account information when I can just mail a money order issued by the postal service as guaranteed payment.   I am tempted to let them continue garnishing my wages as the money they take out still leaves me with enough money to live ok off of.   I am also considering sending additional money directly to the US Dept of Ed.   I know it is bad to have a garnishment on my account but I am not trusting this collection agency. 

Any thoughts or ideas on what I should do?  I really want to pay this off and start rebuilding my credit.  This student loan is my most expensive debt.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Help! Pay additional on a garnishment or go for the rehab?

Get it in writing-
Balances, fees, payment schedule,

You want to do the rehab route- just make sure it is set up right-

Ask for them to delete afterwords- (in writing)

Did I mention getting this all in writing?
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.