Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help Please!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Help Please!

My Apologize... After further reviewing the law I found the protection only applies to loans made on or after 2014. It seems i've mislead you as well. I will continue to look into this problem and see if any options allow for a more reasonble solution to your loan issue.

Message 21 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi...

Ive been reading your situation through the threads and cant help but wonder if you are being mislead. Not by the answers here but by Chase Bank themselves. See, when you went to school and accepted your privte loan you immedietly fell under the Higher Education act of 1997. This act was formed by big privite banks to help them cast big fees on student loans and force payback w the same protection afforded Federal Loans. But fast Forward to today, where our beloved current president has plegued us with his medical reform bill and you may find some solice. See, with this bill piggybacked the Student Loan Overhaul of 2010 - you should read the details pertaining to student loans. in short, this bill modified two big problems of the 1997 Act. High fees, and Pay Back Requirements. It reduces the mandatory repayment schedule of 15% of income to 10% of income. You make $27000 annual so your payments are roughly $337.00 and from what I gathered your still paying that. But the reduced rate of 10% would decrease your payments to roughly $225.00. What this means to you is your still bound by law to repay this debt. (Lesson learned, paying the interest while attending school should be your future advice to family and friends) but under Obamas Student Loan Overhaul you should only be repaying the $225.00 (10% of income) w/out any added fees. I would encourage you to follow up on this and then approach your bank. Privite lending tactics of education loans is the reason the overhaul came to be...  Please let me know if this helped.

This is wonderful advice! I will look into the bills you've discussed above. Thanks again!

Message 22 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

My Apologize... After further reviewing the law I found the protection only applies to loans made on or after 2014. It seems i've mislead you as well. I will continue to look into this problem and see if any options allow for a more reasonble solution to your loan issue.

I appreciate any and all help! Thanks again for looking into this - I've researched on my own, but sometimes we miss things.

Message 23 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I agree with SCF.  Are you working in your field of study?  Is your income likely to increase significantly over the next few years?  If the answer to either of those is no you should be looking for new employment.

Yes; I'm working in my field of study (psychology) - however, without a masters degree, I'm not eliglbe for any state certifications or licensures. I want to go to grad school and got accepted, but I don't have the money. It's a catch 22 - I have to spend more money, possibly take out more loans, just to make more money a year in my salary (Applied for hundreds of scholarships, but haven't heard anything back). Trust me, I look for jobs everyday, but there's nothing available to me making any more than I currently do without a masters.

With a degree is psychology you could probably get a pretty decent job doing HR.  I know there are also some companies with management training programs that just require a bachelors irrespective of the discipline.  Just some things to consider in case you haven't.  I know psych is a fields where you essentially need a masters to just get in the game.

Message 24 of 28
SCF
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi...

Ive been reading your situation through the threads and cant help but wonder if you are being mislead. Not by the answers here but by Chase Bank themselves. See, when you went to school and accepted your privte loan you immedietly fell under the Higher Education act of 1997. This act was formed by big privite banks to help them cast big fees on student loans and force payback w the same protection afforded Federal Loans. But fast Forward to today, where our beloved current president has plegued us with his medical reform bill and you may find some solice. See, with this bill piggybacked the Student Loan Overhaul of 2010 - you should read the details pertaining to student loans. in short, this bill modified two big problems of the 1997 Act. High fees, and Pay Back Requirements. It reduces the mandatory repayment schedule of 15% of income to 10% of income. You make $27000 annual so your payments are roughly $337.00 and from what I gathered your still paying that. But the reduced rate of 10% would decrease your payments to roughly $225.00. What this means to you is your still bound by law to repay this debt. (Lesson learned, paying the interest while attending school should be your future advice to family and friends) but under Obamas Student Loan Overhaul you should only be repaying the $225.00 (10% of income) w/out any added fees. I would encourage you to follow up on this and then approach your bank. Privite lending tactics of education loans is the reason the overhaul came to be...  Please let me know if this helped.

This article provides a decent overview of the changes that were implemented to student loans along with the healthcare bill that passed in 2010.  Those changes had significant impacts for some lenders that were also involved in private student lending (and who previously could also fund federal student loans), but it did not make any changes to private student loans.  There are no mandatory income-based payment plans for private loans, even if they were made after 2014.  It seems like you are confusing/conflating some of the changes that happened when the PAYE plan was introduced as well.

Private student loans are a contract between the borrower and a private bank.  They have no federal gaurentee, and so Congress doesn't control these loans like they do federally-backed ones.  They are subject to the same laws as other borrowing, with the notable exception that private student loans are treated the same in bankruptcy as federal ones.  Otherwise, as long as they don't run afoul of usury laws or other limits - private student loan lenders can lend as much as they want, set payments how they want, and tack on any fees that the contract they entered with the borrower allows.

Message 25 of 28
SCF
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I agree with SCF.  Are you working in your field of study?  Is your income likely to increase significantly over the next few years?  If the answer to either of those is no you should be looking for new employment.

Yes; I'm working in my field of study (psychology) - however, without a masters degree, I'm not eliglbe for any state certifications or licensures. I want to go to grad school and got accepted, but I don't have the money. It's a catch 22 - I have to spend more money, possibly take out more loans, just to make more money a year in my salary (Applied for hundreds of scholarships, but haven't heard anything back). Trust me, I look for jobs everyday, but there's nothing available to me making any more than I currently do without a masters.

It sounds like you've got some tough choices to make.  Is it worthwhile to continue to work in this field when your income potential is so limited?  There are plenty of jobs out there that pay more than $27k for someone with just a bachelor's degree, but they may well not be in pyschology.  Have you thought about finding a better paying job for just a few years to let you pay down your debt and save for grad school?  Some time to get your finances in order doesn't mean you have to give up on your career goals, just delay them.

Message 26 of 28
bearze34
Established Member

Unfortunately, you really need to downsize your spending. If you drink, smoke, have unneeded car payments, cable channels, or cell phones you can dump them and ramp up your payments. It is unfair and unfortunate but you need to examine every dime you spend and hack where possible. Eating out is a luxury not a necessity. I did it and paid off 2 cars in 2 years. Now I have no debt and am a saver.
Message 27 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@bearze34 wrote:
Unfortunately, you really need to downsize your spending. If you drink, smoke, have unneeded car payments, cable channels, or cell phones you can dump them and ramp up your payments. It is unfair and unfortunate but you need to examine every dime you spend and hack where possible. Eating out is a luxury not a necessity. I did it and paid off 2 cars in 2 years. Now I have no debt and am a saver.

This would be great advice if there were places to cut my spending - I don't drink, smoke, or eat out. Like I said in an earlier thread, I only make $27,000 a year - and I have car payments, a mortgage, utilities, ect. I don't spend money in unnecessary places because I truly can't afford to. I have interviews this week for second jobs, but I already work a normal 40 hour a week job so I'm not looking forward to adding 20+ hours to that just to try and get ahead on this terrible loan.

Message 28 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.