Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with defaulted loans

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Help with defaulted loans

My student loans have gone into default. I have tried to rehabilitate them but I cannot afford the payment that the collection agency gave me to pay. I couldn't ever even pay it for two months in a row. Is there any other way I can pay them off and/or get the default off of my record? I have two and they are both federal. I went to the Department of Education website and they said that my loans have a zero balance, so I don't even know who to call to get started.
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
LynnInMN
Frequent Contributor

Re: Help with defaulted loans

melame wrote:
My student loans have gone into default. I have tried to rehabilitate them but I cannot afford the payment that the collection agency gave me to pay. I couldn't ever even pay it for two months in a row. Is there any other way I can pay them off and/or get the default off of my record? I have two and they are both federal. I went to the Department of Education website and they said that my loans have a zero balance, so I don't even know who to call to get started.

Are you loans with the DOE or are they with the DOE collection department or some other FFELP lender?   Since a CA has been assigned to the account,  the holder or guarantor of the loan will not deal with  you...they will send you right back to the CA.

Ok....how much do you owe?  What is the payment they assigned?

There are other options but they will not remove the default.  Rehab doesnt completely remove the default either. 
Ex-Financial Aid Officer

Ex-Student Loan Collector
Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I wish I had waited for your reply before I called the DoE as they told me the exact same thing you did.

My two loans are:
$35,000 with Delta Management
$5,000 with Texas Guaranteed

The one with Delta Management is the one that I cannot afford to repay. They set me up to pay $370 per month. I am in the process of gathering information to prove that I cannot afford that, but some of the information they want is very vague such as they want information on my dependents, but it doesn't say what information they want. They said that if I didn't have documentation for everything then my application would be rejected, but what kind of documentation do they want for dependents? I really don't want to send in birth certificates or social security cards. I also don't have receipts for all of my fuel expenses and I don't have time to get a month's worth before the paperwork is due back and since I often pay cash, I don't get a receipt for that.
Message 3 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am helping my wife rehab her student loans and received a statement from one of the CAs (Windham Professionals, collecting for AES; the other CA is DCS, collecting for Great Lakes). There were 2 loans, and each had a collection cost associated with it, nearly equal to the interest, or over $600 for one loan and over $1200 for the other. Is this legal? Can I get the CA to waive this?

Also, the two CAs I contacted told me the amount we would pay each month to rehab the loans, and I agreed. Can I now ask them to lower it, or is it too late? They also made me sign up for direct debit. I'm ok with that as I pay everything online anyway, but what are the chances they will take more than agreed?

This is the letter I am planning to send. Its a combination plead to lower the payment, change payment method and DV. The same letter will go to both CAs, only changing the address and amount they told me to pay.

Contact Name
CA name
Address
Address
Date

Re: Payment on Acct #XXX

Dear Name:

I recently made arrangements with you to have my student loans rehabilitated. You told me that I would need to pay $256 per month via direct debit on the 8th of each month and I agreed. I have since realized that the payment amount will cause me financial hardship as I now struggle to pay my other bills and buy groceries.

I would like to propose that instead of $256 per month, I instead pay $50. This will still put a small financial strain on me, as my grocery bill is often $200-300 per month. After my rent payment of $995, my $300 grocery bill, $100 phone bill and $50 electric bill, this only leaves $50 left over for you. [I told them she makes $1500 per month, which is true.]

With the direct debit happening each month, I have given up some financial control, and was forced to not only cut back greatly on groceries, but for the first time in several years, not pay a utility bill in full (an option not even possible with direct debit).

I am therefore pleading with you that I may be allowed to pay only $50 per month so I can continue to pay my other bills and remain healthy enough to work. I further would like to retract my permission to directly debit the bank account, and instead charge the $50 to a credit card. I will provide the credit card number when I have received a letter accepting these proposed changes.

Additionally, as I am not sure where you arrived at the balance amount, according to the Federal Debt Collection Practices Act, I have a right to have the debt validated. I am requesting and requiring that you forward all proper original documentation to me proving this debt. You are hereby required to provide the following:

*Contract of said account with my original signature.
*Complete billing and payment history.
*Copies of all certified letters sent to my address.
*Notarized statement that you are authorized to collect this debt and by whom.
*Notarized statement claiming you believe in the authenticity of the items (A), (B) & (C ).

Should, in the course of gathering these items, the authenticity of any of them be brought in question, you must cease and desist all actions, including any collection activities, on said matter, and notify OC of your findings.

Please forward your documentation to me upon receipt of this certified letter. Please note that proper documentation is not simply a print out or bill from you and this debt can not be validated without a contract bearing my original signature. If you are unable or unwilling to furnish said documents then you must cease all collection activities.

Thank you.

Please send all correspondence to:

Name
Address
Address

Sincerely,

Name
[NO signature]

Any and all critiques are welcome; however, I want to get this letter out ASAP so I can get their response and reply back with CC information before the next debit on October 8th. Thanks!
Message 4 of 16
LynnInMN
Frequent Contributor

I advise you not to send that letter....for starters, they will not negotiate via mail.   Plus you will find her  in garnishment quicker than you can blink an eye. (Her wages can be garnished without a court order for federal student loans.) Keep in mind that she are dealing with federal loans and promisorry notes.  Part of the agreement she made when she signed the prom note was that she would pay the balance in full on demand plus all collection costs applicable by law.  Collection fees can be as high as 25%...federally mandated. Plus they will not be waived for a FFELP rehab which she would be doing.  Such demands wil pull her from the rehab program.

You will receive a copy of the prom note plus a copy of any payment history since the guarantor paid the claim.  Nothing more.  They are not responsible to provide you with any payment history prior to the claim paid date.  They will show you the claim paid amount, interest accrued since the claim paid date and collection fees.    There is no billing statement history post default.  Nothing will be notorized. 

What about your income??  They usually take the spouses income into consideration when setting up rehab payments.  It is not reasonable to expect that she pays all the bills. 

Ex-Financial Aid Officer

Message 5 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

They don't know she's married. The fact is, that with my additional income, we're struggling to come up with the money, as we have car payments (in my name) and maintenance and insurance on them, gas expenses, MY food bill (the $300 in the letter is half the monthly amount we spend), etc, but by leaving all that out, it is less to prove to the CA.

I will leave out the DV parts if that will cause more harm than good, but when you say they won't negotiate by mail, does that mean I need to call them and talk to them on the phone? I thought everything with a CA was supposed to be done in writing.
Message 6 of 16
LynnInMN
Frequent Contributor

Federal student loans are not normal consumer debt.  The reason they will not negotiate in writing is that it would be a direct violation of the prom note default clause.  The guarantors will simply not allow them to do so. 

Ok...you called in and set up the payment plan?  Did you not disclose you were the spouse to set up the plan?

Rehab payments are set up based on what is reasonable and affordable.  No CA is going to buy that she is paying $995 rent and $100 on phone on a $1500 income....they know there is someone else paying. They may agree to lower the payment but it needs to reasonable based on what she owes.  They will also be mentally comparing what they can get via garnishment. 

You have two ca's collecting.  What are the balances and what are the seperate rehab payments?
Ex-Financial Aid Officer

Message 7 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I did not disclose that I am her spouse; we have different last names. Is the rehab amount negotiable at all? Can we put it on a CC instead of direct debit from my checking account?

The loan from AES, which Windham Professionals is collecting, is $11K and they want $113 a month. The loan from Great Lakes, which DCS is collecting, is $40.5K and they want $256 per month.

What amount do you think is reasonable? The fact is that with all our expenses, the $369 is greatly impacting us, as our expenses have been slightly lower than our income for the last year, and in the last few months, slightly higher! Thanks!
Message 8 of 16
LynnInMN
Frequent Contributor

A $50 payment on a $40k would not be deemed reasonable, particularly since interest would be running about $250 per month.  A standard payment would be in the region of $400 per month.   A $50 payment even if remotely accepted is simply a bandaid fix....once rehabbed the payments would jump up even higher with the accrued interest.  If you consolidate and go for the ICR payment,  they would  take your income into account too.

$50K in student loans is going to be a long term debt.  You are either going to have to do some budget chopping or one of you going to need to pick up a part time job to pickup the slack. 
Ex-Financial Aid Officer

Message 9 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Would it be reasonable to offer Windham (who wants $113) $75 and to offer DCS (who wants $256) $150?  Since you say they won't negotiate via mail, should I call them on the phone?

What about using a CC to pay, will they do that, or will they insist on the direct debit?  Thanks!
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.