Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Help

Dear Fico Forums,

Years ago I attended Strayer University and it turns out I owed them $3800 for classes since financial aid didnt cover it due to being under the limit of classes required to get financial aid. I definetly am trying hard to go back to school today but I cannot get those transcripts out of there unless that balance is paid which is preventing me from moving on in life. This all happend about 5 years ago. The debt is taken off my credit report due to a validation that the collection agency failed to fully do in the time period. My only option today i am considering is a debt settlement I am thinking of offering them to see what happens. But now If this does work out in my favor, what will the long term effects be if the collection agency lists it as settled but not in full. can they report that even though they were removed from my credit report. 

This debt is 5 years old at most and I have not gotten a phone call or any notification in 5 years from them. 

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
IOBA
Senior Contributor

Re: Help

I am not suggesting that this will work or that you should ignore your debt....

Most schools state it is their policy to provide one free copy of official of the transcripts.  There are (usally) no strings or stipulations on that one "free copy of official transcriptions."  Sometimes the school will respond to that and release one copy.  Sometimes they are sticklers and won't release the records until the debt has been paid in full.

As far as collections go, you would want them to update the credit report to say paid in full.  (Then get and keep a copy of the paid collection update forever and ever and ever.)  If you aren't doing anything credit wise for the next few years, then don't worry about whether the CA updates or not.  Any update might change your score a little.  And this debt is 5 years old, so most of the CA pain is old. 

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Help

so i contacted the debt collection company and asked about a settlement offer. they verified the last 4 of my social and my name. when i asked the gentlemen about a settlement offer he said that strayer does not do that and they dont own the debt. strayer said they sent the account to collections. so after he told me that i just hung up on him and didnt say another word.

is this going to reappear on my credit since i said i wanted to debt settle even though i got this alread removed from my credit? does it reactivate the debt too?

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.