Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Heroes Act to fix student loan reporting

tag
themizlyne
Regular Contributor

Heroes Act to fix student loan reporting

I have written a goodwill letter to try to get my student loan derogatory reports removed.  I would appreciate it if the letter could be reviewed and suggestions for improvement given.  Thanks in advance.

"Greetings:

I am writing to request assistance in correcting the status of my student loans and the information reported to the three credit reporting agencies.  I believe that my situation can be corrected under the Heroes Act (Public Law 108-76, 110-93).

I was an Army reserve member who was activated on 25 January 2007 (one month after I completed my Masters degree program) and deployed to Baghdad, Iraq on April 19, 2007.  I remained in Iraq until April 20, 2009.  When I returned to the US, I was placed on terminal leave until June 24, 2009.  Effective June 24, 2009, I am a 100% disabled veteran and my student loans have been discharged as a result of my permanent and total disability.

When I was activated I requested military deferment for my loans, but found out after my return home that the deferment had only lasted for my first year of deployment and that I was in default on all of my student loans and I just gave up.  As soon as the VA completed my disability determination I requested and received discharge of all of my loans effective 24 June 2009.

I am now trying to rebuild my life and purchase a home and am requesting that the derogatory information reported as a result of my military deployment be removed from the credit reporting bureaus.  I have enclosed a copy of my DD Form 214 which lists the time period I was deployed in Item 18 (line 4).

Thank you."

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
bahbahd
Established Contributor

Re: Heroes Act to fix student loan reporting

@themizlyne wrote:

I have written a goodwill letter to try to get my student loan derogatory reports removed.  I would appreciate it if the letter could be reviewed and suggestions for improvement given.  Thanks in advance.

"
Acct #: AAA00055555

Dear [COMPANY NAME] Representative,

Under the Heroes Act (Public Law 108-76, 110-93), I am writing to request an adjustment to the default status and derogatory payment history for the above referenced account number.  I believe that my situation can be corrected under the .

I am an Army reserve veteran who was activated on January 25, 2007 (one month after I completed my Masters degree program) and deployed to Baghdad, Iraq on April 19, 2007.  I remained in Iraq until April 20, 2009. When I was initially activated, I requested military deferment for my student loans. It was not until my return home that I learned that this deferment had only lasted for the first year of my deployment and that I subsequently defaulted on my student loans.  and I just gave up.

After returning to the US, I was placed on terminal leave.  On June 24, 2009, I was determined to be a 100% disabled veteran and all my student loans were discharged as a result of my permanent and total disability.

As soon as the VA completed my disability determination I requested and received discharge of all of my loans effective 24 June 2009.

I am now trying to rebuild my life and purchase a home and am  I have enclosed a copy of my DD Form 214 which lists the time period I was deployed under item 18 (line 4.) I greatly appreciate your assistance in removing the derogatory information reported during my military deployment.

Thank you."

I think your letter is good. I reorganized it just a bit for you and formatted all the dates the same. Good luck.

Edit: spell checked

Message 2 of 4
nwrainman

I have a similar problem with a 100% disability Salle Mae discharge. After 3 days of interest research and talking to the credit bureau's and Fico, I learned that Fico was picking up the term "returned to the government" to mean that the loan had gone into default. Fico said that the Salle Mae response did not mention "disability discharge". I called Salle Mae and asked them to resubmit to the credit bureau's with the correct language. Fico said this would fix the problem in about a month. I am waiting to see.
Message 3 of 4
nwrainman

Also they said any late payment would be removed from the record. As I had none, I can't report to that. You must call Salle Mae or whomever serviced your loan and explain it to them, and have them resubmit. I will update when I get some resolution.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.