Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I get rid of a duplicate student loan

tag
kisbel65
New Contributor

How do I get rid of a duplicate student loan

In 2003 I consolidated 3 student loans into 1. I have been current on the consolidated loan for over 1 year. Meanwhile, I still have one of the old loans on my Equifax report amd two of the old loans on  my Experian report. I have disputed this item a zillion times and it still has not come off. Only one loan exist now  (the one that I am current on) why wont the other loans disappear...they are from 1998??? I have no problem with transunion, but Experian and Equifax won't remove the old loans.
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: How do I get rid of a duplicate student loan

Do you really want it to go away? Removing old accounts can drop your FICO score.
Message 2 of 5
kisbel65
New Contributor

Yes, because the account credit history shows that I was late in the past. Current now, but up to 90 days past due in the past. Would'nt it help my FICO score if I removed an old account with negative payment history???

Message 3 of 5
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

@kisbel65 wrote:

Yes, because the account credit history shows that I was late in the past. Current now, but up to 90 days past due in the past. Would'nt it help my FICO score if I removed an old account with negative payment history???

When were the late payments made? The loan may have been from 1998, but were the late payments then...or later?

Message 4 of 5
tdbss
Valued Member

I believe the consolodation is a different loan than the original.  If you have late payments on the original, you have to wait like the rest of us.  You could try writing GW letters since the late payment was so far in the past and you have been on time since, but from what I understand they are pretty tight.  Haven't tried myself yet.  But what I can tell you they are very slow in updating their information.  I was told up to 90 days when there is a status change, postifve status change of course.
10.28.09 EQ 571 TU 606
11.24.09 EQ 611 TU 566
1.3.10 EQ 653 TU 566
2.6.10 EQ670 TU598
5.4.10EQ691
9.17.10 EQ658 TU682
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.