cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I get the late remark removed?

tag
Broke_Triathlete
Valued Contributor

Re: How do I get the late remark removed?

@Anonymous wrote:

If the loans aren't in default you probably have no need to go into a rehab program. If they're in standard repayment and you have some lates on your credit report, your best approach is probably a goodwill letter to FedLoan. I've tried this a few times and each time got a canned response and the request was turned down. FedLoan is very hard to work with.

You can try a backdoor approach and request through FedLoan that the loan be put into a "backdated" or "retroactive" forbearance for the periods during which your loan was reported to the credit bureaus. For example, if you have a 60-day late for March 2015 and a 90-day late for April 2015, request that the loan be put into a "backdated" forbearance period for the timeframe of February through April (3 months). If approved, FedLoan may remove the lates from your reports since your loan was technically in forbearance during that period, meaning no payment was due. If forbearance is approved for the periods when you were reported to the credit bureaus, and FedLoan doesn't remove the lates themselves, you can easily dispute the reports through the credit bureaus and say the loans were in forbearance, so there is no way you could have been late.

Two things to note about forbearance: Interest will accrue for the forbearance period and will be added to your loan balance, but if only for a couple months it may be a better option to add a little bit of extra interest to your loan than have those lates on your report. Also, get any forbearance approvals IN WRITING. If approved over the phone, ask that they email or mail you confirmation. You would need this confirmation in writing to send to credit bureaus if FedLoan does not remove the lates, and you go the dispute route. Lots of people have had HUGE success with this getting even 120-day lates removed.

From my experience FedLoan will approve up to 3 months of forbearance over the phone and anything further (up to 12 months) needs to be requested via a form on their website. You can email or fax the form. But your results may vary, see what they say!

Also FedLoan is PHEAA, who manages federal loans owned by the government. I do know PHEAA has a federal loan rehab program if you ever do go into default. If that's needed you can check out https://www.pheaa.org/about/press-releases/2013/apr-2.shtml for information.

Also consolidating probably won't remove any of the lates. Once they're there, they stay unless you can get the lender to remove them or if you dispute them as being inaccurate.

Good luck!!

Does anyone know if this will work with Sallie Mae/Navient? I have 2 lates from 2012 I'd love to see if this would work for.

Personal:

Business:

Message 11 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I requested a retroactive forbearance on my Navient (Sallie Mae) account just last week and it was granted over the phone within 10 minutes. They did ask me a few questions to make sure my gross income wasn't over a speficic threshhold at the time but they were very easy to work with.

They seemed kind of weirded out that I was requesting a forbearance for a period so far back (>1 year ago), but I just told them that I wanted to have the account reflect a good standing in the event I were to use Navient in the future as a borrower or co-signer, and they were OK with that. But feel free to say whatever works for your situation Smiley Happy

I've heard horror stories about dealing with FedLoan but Navient seems much more willing to work with borrowers.

I just requested the retroactive forbearance and didn't mention anything about removing the late yet. I just wanted to make sure the forbearance was granted and that I had a confirmation in writing, and to wait a month and see if they update my report themselves and remove the late. If not, at least I got the forbearance and I can then dispute the late(s) with the CRAs.

Good luck!

Message 12 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

You can try a backdoor approach and request through FedLoan that the loan be put into a "backdated" or "retroactive" forbearance for the periods during which your loan was reported to the credit bureaus. For example, if you have a 60-day late for March 2015 and a 90-day late for April 2015, request that the loan be put into a "backdated" forbearance period for the timeframe of February through April (3 months). If approved, FedLoan may remove the lates from your reports since your loan was technically in forbearance during that period, meaning no payment was due. If forbearance is approved for the periods when you were reported to the credit bureaus, and FedLoan doesn't remove the lates themselves, you can easily dispute the reports through the credit bureaus and say the loans were in forbearance, so there is no way you could have been late.

Two things to note about forbearance: Interest will accrue for the forbearance period and will be added to your loan balance, but if only for a couple months it may be a better option to add a little bit of extra interest to your loan than have those lates on your report. Also, get any forbearance approvals IN WRITING. If approved over the phone, ask that they email or mail you confirmation. You would need this confirmation in writing to send to credit bureaus if FedLoan does not remove the lates, and you go the dispute route. Lots of people have had HUGE success with this getting even 120-day lates removed.

Bummer, I wish I had seen this two years ago! 

Long story short, I had a batch of student loans that were transferred from Direct Loan Servicing to FedLoan Servicing in July 2013. Due to administrative snafus, I didn't realize they had been transferred and kept making payments to DLS until December 2013, when I finally found out the loans had been transferred, racking up an absolutely awesome 6 months of late payments reported by FLS. Yeah, it sucked at the time and I've been able to make no progress at getting the 6 months of missing payments rectified. Anyways, that's beside the point of this post.

I put them in forbearance in January 2014, then consolidated them in March 2014. Payment history has been 100% fine since then.

I called FLS just now after reading this post to see if they could retroactively extend the January-March 2014 forbearance to cover July 2013-March 2014. I was told that since the original loans had been closed and paid off a year and a half ago in the process of consolidation, that it would mess up the system if the forbearance was retroactively updated. Dang it!

That clump of 10 student loans all reporting 6 months of late payments is by far the biggest derogatory item on my reports. I'd hoped I could do a backdoor forbearance and dispute/delete.

Sigh. Guess I need to start a GW campaign or just suck it up and wait till 2020 for the lates to age off...

Message 13 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

.....Sigh. Guess I need to start a GW campaign or just suck it up and wait till 2020 for the lates to age off...

Not sure if this is ok to recommend, but over in this thread: http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Student-Loans/ACS-Education-CORP-Letter-of-Goodwill-contact/td-p/2784635 , I read a recommendation or two to just dispute and it looks like it worked their. I just tried to dispute 4 differeint accounts through Equifax and Experian for my grad school loans which have negatives: Fedloan, ACS, Nelnet, and American Student Assistance, and none of those came off. Trying to do Goodwill letters to various people for a few months and then will try again with the disputes.

Message 14 of 17
txbusted
Contributor

@InvincibleSummer3 wrote:
That is true, but rehabbing doesn't necessarily remove all the lates either. Rehab removes default status but the lates that led up to the default can remain.

+1 

I was in default and rehabbed my loans. ALL of the lates leading up to it are still reported. Only the default itself has to be removed. I am only 10 months post rehab and I have to tell you it's an uphill battle at times. 

I agree you should try the GW letter. Sometimes the only thing that will make your score increase is time and good behavior on what you have already. Since my rehab I have gotten approved for 5 CC-2 of them are non-starter cards. The road may be bumby but in the end it will be worth it. 

myFICO's : EQ: 643 // TU: 635// EXP:645

WALLET: Victoria Secret $650 | Simply Be $850 | BOA Cash Rewards $300 I Cap 1 Secured $500 | Cap 1 Plat $4k |Chase Freedom $2.2k l Full Beauty $450 l Woman Within $450 l Wayfair $1.2k l Citi Double Cash $700 l Game Stop $300l Overstock $1K l Lane Bryant $300 l Ulta $750 l Walmart $700 l Target Red $1k
Amazon Chase $1k l Kohls $300
Message 15 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good luck, but I haven't had much luck in this area. I have loans throgh PHEAA, which I left separate, as well as loans now consolidated through Great Lakes. Very long story short-I went all the way to the Ombudsman for Student Aid. The lady gathered all sorts of information from me, worked contacting the various services from over the years since they change hands so often. It took probably 3-4 months for me to finally find out that "they said they were all reporting accurately" and that basically nothing was going to be removed. Wish you the best of luck, though.

Message 16 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just emailed both the ceo of navient as well as the ceo of Great Lakes as I have both. Hopefully if I hear anything back I will update and inform the outcome. Wrote a pretty strong goodwill letter to both
Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.