Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How does paying off a student loan affect credit score

tag
kal9988
Regular Contributor

How does paying off a student loan affect credit score

I have a $20,000 student loan (already consolidated). I know having an old open account helps your credit score, but if I pay off $10,000 of that, will that raise my score?

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
trdmlc
New Contributor

Re: How does paying off a student loan affect credit score

Not likely, as installment loans do not factor into utilization %.  It will help with your DTI if you're buying a house, but DTI doesn't factor into your score.

Starting Score LENDER PULLS (02/23/10): 587 (TU) 554 (EQ) 562 (EX)
Current Score LENDER PULLS (07/02/10): 651 (TU) 645 (EQ) 669 (EX)
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 12
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@kal9988 wrote:

I have a $20,000 student loan (already consolidated). I know having an old open account helps your credit score, but if I pay off $10,000 of that, will that raise my score?

Hello and welcome to the forums.

It won't help your score per se but you'll be $10,000 less in debt and that is priceless!!!  Smiley Happy

From a BK years ago to:
9/09 EX pulled by lender 802
3/10 EQ- 800
6/10 TU -772

You can do the same thing with hard work

Credit Scoring 101
Common Abbreviations
Frequently Requested Threads
Whats In Your FICO Score

Message 3 of 12
kal9988
Regular Contributor

Thanks! I've heard that paying at least 35% of the original loan does raise your credit score.

Fico itself lists among things that affect your credit score: "Proportion of installment loan amounts still owing (proportion of balance to original loan amount on certain types of installment loans)"

http://www.myfico.com/crediteducation/whatsinyourscore.aspx

By making the $10,000 payment, I'll have paid around 40-45% of the original balance. Based on the above info, will this raise my score?

Message 4 of 12
trdmlc
New Contributor

It's unlikely.  This would only be considered if the loan reported a credit limit to base the balance against.  Most installment loans do not have credit limits.  I know my student loans do not report a CL.

When your score is calculated it doesn't say "last month you owed 50,000 and now you only owe 40,000, so I'm going to bump you up."

It simply looks at your report and calculates based on that moment.  You're overall debt isn't considered, only utilization percentage.

Starting Score LENDER PULLS (02/23/10): 587 (TU) 554 (EQ) 562 (EX)
Current Score LENDER PULLS (07/02/10): 651 (TU) 645 (EQ) 669 (EX)
Goal Score: 700

Message 5 of 12
kal9988
Regular Contributor

then why would fico's own page say that's a factor? My report does list the original loan balance and what the current balance is.

Message 6 of 12
Lel
Moderator Emeritus

"Utilization" of an installment loan's balance represents a comparatively small portion of one's FICO score.  But in theory, paying down installment balances can improve one's score.  But it is perhaps equally likely that no discernible change will occur.

In my experience, when I consolidated my student loans a few years ago, I had no significant change in score, even though 4 student loan balances were closed with zero balances and a new student loan account was opened.  Just last month, I paid the student loan down to 1/3 of the original loan balance, and my score hasn't budged.  My current balance and original balances are being reported.

Message 7 of 12
kal9988
Regular Contributor

I hear ya. I wish there was a way to know for sure. The major events of our lives revolve around credit reports and scores, the workings of which are mysteries.

Message 8 of 12
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@kal9988 wrote:

I hear ya. I wish there was a way to know for sure. The major events of our lives revolve around credit reports and scores, the workings of which are mysteries.

One thing you can be sure of. It certainly won't hurt your score.  Smiley Happy

IMO reducing and/or paying off debt always comes first. Others have different opinions.

From a BK years ago to:
9/09 EX pulled by lender 802
3/10 EQ- 800
6/10 TU -772

You can do the same thing with hard work

Credit Scoring 101
Common Abbreviations
Frequently Requested Threads
Whats In Your FICO Score

Message 9 of 12
silentdance
Valued Member

So even paying it off completely might not better your score? Bummer. Once below 35% utilization, should I maintain a balance to establish positive payment history--instead of paying it all off at once?

Starting Score: TU 552 EQ 565
Current Score: TU 665 EQ 674
Goal Score: 700+

As a new (single) mom, my goal is to buy a great house by 2012. I'm busting tail to better my credit one day at a time, thanks to the help of this forum.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.