cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long do student loans with good credit stay on file?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How long do student loans with good credit stay on file?

I have several Sallie Mae loans that are sticking around on my file.  There are no negatives in the reports, all accounts were kept current and have been paid off since Sept 2000. When will these drop off of my report?
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How long do student loans with good credit stay on file?

Good, positive accounts stay on for 10 years.

Now, if that's from the date they were paid off or opened, I don't know.

But if I were you, I'd not say a peep about it to the CRAs or OC!! That gives you a NICE piece of credit history!! Smiley Happy
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have the exact same problem with my Sallie Mae loans.

I have six loans that they are still reporting on all of my CR's that were consolidated in 5/1999.  The status says "transferred to another office", but they are still reporting the tranferred loans, in addition to the consolidated loan as "open" on my Equifax report, and all are also being counted in my "total installment accounts" number.

At least one of my credit reports tells me that I have "too many installment accounts", so I am trying to get them to remove the consolidated loans from my CR.  I will let you know if I am successful in getting these removed.  

My advice would be to make sure that they are reporting these paid loans as "closed" and not still "open" as they are with mine because if they are showing as "open", depending on how many loans you have, it may lower your score, as it is with mine.

Hope this helps. Good luck.
Message 3 of 5
MattH
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Good, positive accounts stay on for 10 years.

Now, if that's from the date they were paid off or opened, I don't know.

But if I were you, I'd not say a peep about it to the CRAs or OC!! That gives you a NICE piece of credit history!! Smiley Happy

My grad school student loans fell off my history 10 years after the day I paid them off.
TU 791 02/11/2013, EQ 800 1/29/2011 , EX Plus FAKO 812, EX Vantage Score 955 3/19/2010 wife's EQ 9/23/2009 803
EX always was my highest when we could pull all three
Always remember: big print giveth, small print taketh away
If you dunno what tanstaafl means you must Google it
Message 4 of 5
lisac
Regular Contributor

i have loan opened 1997 paid off 2003, reports says due to fall off 2013.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.