cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How much of an effect will transferred student loan accounts have on a score?

tag
turnerte
Established Member

How much of an effect will transferred student loan accounts have on a score?

My student loan debt was transferred a couple of times from one lender to another a couple of years ago. I have since started paying off this debt. My question is, how much of an effect if any will those previous accounts that were transferred have on my score? I have looked at all 3 scores on Myfico and they report my number of accounts differently between the three of them and obviously the scores are different. I am just curious if it would be worth it to try and have the number of accounts corrected if that is even a possibility. 

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: How much of an effect will transferred student loan accounts have on a score?

Unless the old accounts have late payments or derogatory notations they're not going to be hurting your FICO® score.
March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 7
bigblue7722
Valued Contributor

Re: How much of an effect will transferred student loan accounts have on a score?

I was wondering the same thing. Like how much more or less my score would be if my loan always stayed with Citibank?With Citibank the loan has 4 late payments 30-60-90-120 then it was sold to sallie mae and that account has like ten late payments. So now it looks like a messed up on two loans instead of one. My account status on the Citibank part of the loan is paid as agreed transferred sold but I am assuming without a manual review when looking for new credit a computer system would not be able to tell it really is the same loan. Is there anything we can do about this if it really is affecting our scores or ability to get new credit? I am sure it is legal that the loan was sold but it really doesn't seem fair.

@pizzadude wrote:
Unless the old accounts have late payments or derogatory notations they're not going to be hurting your FICO® score.

AMEX PRG NPSL,Lowes $17000,Capital One venture card $12,000,Us Airways mastercard $9500,Fidelity Amex $9000, Discover it $8000, Capital One Venture One $7500, BOA 123 rewards $7500 CSP $6000, Capital One Quicksliver $5500, Amazon Store card$5000,Barclay
Card Ring $5000 Chase Marriott $5000,Chase Hyatt $5000, Sallie Mae Mastercard $4400, Paypal smart connect $4000,Chase Freedom $3200, Capital one Quicksliver visa $3000, Chase IHG Rewards $2300, Chase Southwest Premier $2000, Citi Double Cash $1500, AMEX BCE $1000

Last app July 22nd 2015- No apps for two years.
Message 3 of 7
SCF
Valued Contributor

bigblue, is the Sallie Mae tradeline backdated?  Were you late on the loan after it was transferred to Sallie Mae?

I don't think that having 1 loan with 13 lates vs. 2 loans with 13 lates would make a big difference on your report.  Normally when loans are transferred, the old tradeline ends the same month (or month before) the new one begins, so there's no overlap.

Message 4 of 7
bigblue7722
Valued Contributor

@SCF wrote:

bigblue, is the Sallie Mae tradeline backdated?  Were you late on the loan after it was transferred to Sallie Mae?

I don't think that having 1 loan with 13 lates vs. 2 loans with 13 lates would make a big difference on your report.  Normally when loans are transferred, the old tradeline ends the same month (or month before) the new one begins, so there's no overlap.

The loan was not backdated or atleast the citibank lates don't show up with the sallie Mae tradeline.  I was late on the loan after it transferred. However myfico says,  " you have multiple accounts showing late payments or derogatory will negatively effect your score". 

AMEX PRG NPSL,Lowes $17000,Capital One venture card $12,000,Us Airways mastercard $9500,Fidelity Amex $9000, Discover it $8000, Capital One Venture One $7500, BOA 123 rewards $7500 CSP $6000, Capital One Quicksliver $5500, Amazon Store card$5000,Barclay
Card Ring $5000 Chase Marriott $5000,Chase Hyatt $5000, Sallie Mae Mastercard $4400, Paypal smart connect $4000,Chase Freedom $3200, Capital one Quicksliver visa $3000, Chase IHG Rewards $2300, Chase Southwest Premier $2000, Citi Double Cash $1500, AMEX BCE $1000

Message 5 of 7
SCF
Valued Contributor

I guess I'm not an expert in that area of FICO scoring, but my educated guess would be that the lates themselves are affecting your score a great deal more than the fact that they are spread over two accounts, especially with one of those accounts reporting a positive status (the paid as agreed/sold/transferred).

You might ask on the Understanding FICO forum though.

In any case, I think your only recourse if the lates are accurate is to try a GW to the lenders.

Message 6 of 7
bigblue7722
Valued Contributor

They are accurate I have tried everything with sallie Mae. Citibank actually helped me out and removed like 6 lates which brought me down to 4 and changed the status to paid as agreed which I was very thankful for. I am rehabbing the loan right now and when that is done my USA accounts fund will be deleted I am hoping for a large boost in my score then. But with credit I have learned not to count on anything.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.