cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How much og my subsidized interest does the govt pay for me monthly?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How much og my subsidized interest does the govt pay for me monthly?

I have a single lender that has loans for me where some are Direct Stafford, some are FFEL Stafford, some are subsidized and some are unsubsidized, and a mix of each for every year I borrowed, I gradutated in 2011.

I noticed in some of my loans that there has been over a year’s worth of subsidized interest payments made by the government (that is what my lender says), all going to interest, and like .01 or .02 cents going to principal each month. I have qualified for IBR every year since graduating, and for the year in question I literally had $0 min payment. Plus once each year, a large amount of interest capitalizes, according to my lender, when I reapply for IBR approval.

Once my income increased and I started having a substantial minimum payment (still under IBR) and I began making an actual payment to these loans, I noticed my interest that is accruing each month has tripled and sometimes quadrupled over what the govt was paying in interest.

For example, for all of 2013, the gvt paid roughly $25 in interest payments (per subsidized loan), and my balances never changed.
When I started paying payments in 2014, the portion going to interest has been anywhere from $80 to $120 a month on each those same loans and only a few dollars goes to principal.

So, my question is, how much of my monthly interest did the govt pay per month…was it 30% or 25%, and is that why I still had a good size amount of interest capitalize each year - because the govt did not pay ALL of the subsidized interest per month?

Or was my capitalized interest likely only my unsubsidized interest? Im confused.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 1
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.