Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How should I approach this?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How should I approach this?

What are both the pros and cons on consolidating or not consolidating?

Message 11 of 14
SCF
Valued Contributor

In general, the pros are that all of your loans will be handled by one servicer.  That means that applying for income-driven payment plans, deferment and forbearance, as well as tracking your debt and payments is greatly simplified - you only need to deal with one servicer to accomplish any of this.  Consolidation may also make all of your loans eligible for PSLF if they were not already.

There are no major "cons" because all of your benefits and your effective interest rate stay the same.  If you are trying to pay off the smaller loans that make up your debt individually as part of a debt snowball or similar plan, you may want to hold off consolidating until you take care of your target tradelines.

Message 12 of 14
Pat94108
Frequent Contributor

Personally, I think it's a lot of loans if you have different servicers. I used to have 12 different loans but with the same servicer so only one payment. As others have said already you should consolidate, have one payment only. 

If you choose not to consolidate, my advice is to tackle the smallest loan first, for a faster reward and then the second small one, and so on and so forth. I prefer this method, but if you worry more about saving money then, by all means, tackle the one with the highest interest. 

Message 13 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

What do your minimums look like and how much extra are you able to contribute toward payments?

Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.